Trailer rusting out

Anyone have issues with a tube trailer rusting through? I have a 2012 Triton and I noticed this fall some surface rust on the tubes near where they come together by the bow. The tubes are not sealed in the front of the trailer and have a lot of rust as far back as I can feel. Not just surface rust, I can get chunks the size of a quarter to flake off inside the tube.

At the very least I fear having to have the front of the trailer rebuilt at a fabrication shop.

I've had two tube trailers over the years. I'll never own another because of the internal rust that starts the day there made.
    Had one you could poke a screwdriver thru the bottom of the cross members when it was 5 years old.

3. Member
    Most times we hear about trailers rusting out in brackish or salty water. I use mine in brackish tidal water but I have a galvanized trailer. It's ugly, but it ain't rusty. I wouldn't associate the water in Wisconsin with salt. Must be a pretty cheaply made trailer.

4. Member
    marine masters? my 22 YO stratos made tube trailer held up fine in Ohio waters
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

5. Member
    Tube trailers are not a smart design, Yes they look nice when they are new, with the wires and brake lines enclosed in the tube.

Maintenance on those trailers are tough and remember "RUST NEVER SLEEPS", Who knows what's going on inside those tubes. I had a brake line start leaking inside the tube, the brake line was rubbing on something till it finally started leaking.

When I had a tube trailer, I removed the square plugs in the very back, to let all the water out and to let it dry out better, not sure if this will slow the rust down, but I thought it might.

I'd recommend saving up for a new Channel Trailer, I bought mine from Marine Masters Trailers, I got the Gatorhyde sprayed on the trailer, they are not cheap, but no more trailer worries, If you have that much rust up front, I'm sure the back is rusting too.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

6. mikesxpress

7. Member
    ^ That’s a steal.

had to have the rear cross member of mine cut out and redoneIMG_20210720_172858107_HDR.jpg

9. Member
    I have a custom made aluminum trailer for my Phoenix and love it so far.
    2019 Phoenix 21PHX
    Mercury 250 4 Stroke

10. Member