Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I finally put my 3) 50a Ionics in my boat and have fished 2 of my club tourney's with it, 6am-3pm with my Ultrex and have had 70% left each time, fun fished for a day after the first one with out charging them and still had 60% showing when i parked it at the house.
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040

2. Member
    Sharing my experience in hopes it helps someone when purchasing batteries / charger.
    I ran 3 Ionic 50AH batteries and a Powerpole charge for two seasons. Both Ionic and Powerpole are aware that the Charge does not get along with the 3 battery setup. It does not always balance the middle battery despite their efforts to resolve the issue through software updates. Due to this issue, I had the middle battery die on a few trips when the other batteries still had plenty of juice. I switched to a single 36V battery with no issues. If I had room to run a second 36V battery in parallel to get 100ah I would. If someone has $$ in the budget, I would get as many AH as possible. It’s nice to be able to take full advantage of your TM power without worrying about battery power. Those who say they are getting multiple days out of 50AH are not fishing hard on the TM. I regularly run my 50AH way down on long days on the water when I’m using 100% power on the TM to cover water.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

3. Member
    I flirted with running out of Battery, especially on Pre-fish days. Upgraded to 100 AH. I would say it depends on your fishing style, size of boat, etc.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    I bought 3 50ah Ionics from Drew last spring. Running a 721 Pro Xp with a ghost. So far longest day I've run them is about 7hrs on Lake St Clair. I got them down to about 79%. It would easily have gone 10+ hrs. If you are one of those guys that hammers down on the TM all day I dont know if the 50ah would be enough. For my fishing style they are more than enough.

5. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    I just switched to a "pair" of Powerhouse Lithium 36V40AH. I'm frozen so haven't ran them yet, but the folks around here with the same have been happy. I rarely fish more than 11 hours and don't need multiple days of use. Time will tell for me. LOL

6. Member
    This may be a question which gets a couple groans or 'wtf's'. Having had to 'jump' my main motor from the trolling motor via the throwover switch...........how can a 50ah handle the starting current needed for a large Opti?

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    I just switched to a "pair" of Powerhouse Lithium 36V40AH. I'm frozen so haven't ran them yet, but the folks around here with the same have been happy. I rarely fish more than 11 hours and don't need multiple days of use. Time will tell for me. LOL

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    This may be a question which gets a couple groans or 'wtf's'. Having had to 'jump' my main motor from the trolling motor via the throwover switch...........how can a 50ah handle the starting current needed for a large Opti?
    Switch to a 125 AH Lithium crank (or 2) and don’t worry about that or get a lithium jump start to
    keep in the boat.
    Lowrance / Garmin

9. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Noco and others make small affordable jump starters. https://a.co/d/3obfV9j

The reason I have a relion 100ah HP which has a bms designed for cranking the motor in my trolling setup. Most 100ah can’t crank a motor but that relion HP model has the capabilities if I ever need to.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    I’m hardcore. 12-16 hour days on the water. I’d say most of those days I only burn 50ah of power which isn’t bad for such a long day. But I’ll tell you what. When conditions aren’t on your side I’m sure glad I have 100ah. I honestly want 125ah because I’ve killed my 100ah probably 5-6 times and drained them down to 10-20% countless times over the past few years. It’s so easy when the wind is blowing all day and you want to try and fish into the wind to drain them fast. Sometimes I spot lock in like a 15-20mph wind and my ionic app will show only 6-7 hours of juice if I hold spot lock like that on a full charge and that’s which a Lowrance ghost which is supposed to be a very efficient trolling motor. Those group 27s are probably similar to like 60-70ah lithiums so if you are running those down 50% usually then you are averaging 35ah of use which doesn’t give you much extra room when you run 50ah batteries.
    This is dead on. I have long prefish days and I am hard on batts. Most anglers will never see the bottom of 50AH lithiums but there are guys who can kill 100AH batts
    You have to decide which one are you. Some companies are making 60 , 70 or 80 AH lithiums now as well. Always get more than you might need Good luck in you search

I'm running two 40 ah 36v in parallel. I've definitely never killed that setup, so I can only gauge how close I've gotten by how long my 10 amp charger runs. There was exactly one time where I think I would've killed a single 36v 40 ah, a day where I was fighting main river current on the Mississippi for 9-10 hours. The charger ran a little longer than 4 hours in that instance. To be fair, I've got these on what's basically an 18' boat (technically it's 19'3", but there's 15" of built-in setback), so it's not as tough for my trolling motor to move around as the bigger rigs. I've had the charger run for 3 hours many times, though, so it's not like I'm too far off of using up just 1.

The bigger reason I went with 2 in parallel is for the redundancy--if one battery goes bad, I'm not stuck. The insurance of knowing basically whatever I'd throw at it in a full day on the water is nice for peace of mind though!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm running two 40 ah 36v in parallel.......................................... ........The bigger reason I went with 2 in parallel is for the redundancy--if one battery goes bad, I'm not stuck. The insurance of knowing basically whatever I'd throw at it in a full day on the water is nice for peace of mind though!
    That plus if you had 6 Lead/acid size 31 AGM's they would weigh 400 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    That plus if you had 6 Lead/acid size 31 AGM's they would weigh 400 pounds.
    True!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I'm running two 40 ah 36v in parallel. I've definitely never killed that setup, so I can only gauge how close I've gotten by how long my 10 amp charger runs. There was exactly one time where I think I would've killed a single 36v 40 ah, a day where I was fighting main river current on the Mississippi for 9-10 hours. The charger ran a little longer than 4 hours in that instance. To be fair, I've got these on what's basically an 18' boat (technically it's 19'3", but there's 15" of built-in setback), so it's not as tough for my trolling motor to move around as the bigger rigs. I've had the charger run for 3 hours many times, though, so it's not like I'm too far off of using up just 1.

The bigger reason I went with 2 in parallel is for the redundancy--if one battery goes bad, I'm not stuck. The insurance of knowing basically whatever I'd throw at it in a full day on the water is nice for peace of mind though!
    So, running two 40ah in parallel would be the same as running one 80ah battery?

16. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by rid 05 198 View Post
    So, running two 40ah in parallel would be the same as running one 80ah battery?
    Yes but you have 2 so some redundancy

check us out. Our 36v-40ah is in a group 31 size case so fits in all boats

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse Lithium View Post
    Yes but you have 2 so some redundancy

check us out. Our 36v-40ah is in a group 31 size case so fits in all boats
    What’s the largest AH battery that fits or is close the the Group 31 size

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    Lithium Pros has the biggest I’ve seen. You definitely pay for it though.

https://lithiumpros.com/products/m31...olling-battery
    Lowrance / Garmin

19. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyeggroll View Post
    If you haven't seen this - you can see how well a "pair" of Powerhouse Lithium 36V40AH fit in my Phoenix. https://youtube.com/shorts/QyyaYAq5_Wc?feature=share

My generic 36v 40 ah batteries are in a Group 31 form factor, FWIW. They fit exactly like two of the three group 31 lead acids they replaced.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast