Quick WP question on Opti

Serial # 1b785368
    When first started up in the water it dosent have a steady stream of water. It kind of almost spits, once it reaches Temps it has a solid good steady stream. Never had an opti before, is this normal.
    I'm assuming it's just getting small amounts of water through the pump untill it reaches temp and the thermostats open up then its steady.
    Just wondering
    Been monitoring Temps and even after a long pretty hard run Temps are around 115 or so.

The steady stream comes from the compressor on an Optimax and is not dependent on temps or thermostats. If the motor is “used” when you got it, I’d replace the impeller and clean the compressor strainer.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Bob nailed it and I would not run the engine again until both have been completed.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^^^ +100 to BOTH above suggestions. You should have a steady telltale stream within 15-20 seconds (max) when in the lake.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the info
    Don or anyone else. Could you guys explain how the cooling system works on this motor so I know.
    First Opti so it's new to me where moat it probably is not.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Works just like your EFI did, with ONE exception: There is a strainer screwed into the Water Supply Passage of the adapter plate, which routes to/through the Air Compressor, and then exits through the telltale. This circuit is NOT thermostatically controlled, so it should have a telltale at all times when running (no telltale- compressor WILL overheat).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

With the lower unit removed, use a camera and good light to look thru the tuner to where it bolts to the adaptor for any gasket material hanging into the exhaust, I seen two in the last year that blown out into the exhaust. Both had similar symptoms as you and both had less than 1 psi at idle on start up with new water pumps, Both were the gasket and power head bolts were no longer very tight.
    Every time pull cowls on these motors, I check the torque bolts (10 of them). Follow manufactures specs and instruction to the letter, extremely important
    Not enough torque = leaks, too much = blown powerhead
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G. View Post
    The steady stream comes from the compressor on an Optimax and is not dependent on temps or thermostats. If the motor is “used” when you got it, I’d replace the impeller and clean the compressor strainer.

Ditto
    1B737378 / 2009 - 250 PRO XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    With the lower unit removed, use a camera and good light to look thru the tuner to where it bolts to the adaptor for any gasket material hanging into the exhaust, I seen two in the last year that blown out into the exhaust. Both had similar symptoms as you and both had less than 1 psi at idle on start up with new water pumps, Both were the gasket and power head bolts were no longer very tight.
    Every time pull cowls on these motors, I check the torque bolts (10 of them). Follow manufactures specs and instruction to the letter, extremely important
    Not enough torque = leaks, too much = blown powerhead

Good to know. Going to check mine tomorrow! Thanks Leon! Hope you are doing well. We have been talking about you on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by tomloans View Post
    Good to know. Going to check mine tomorrow! Thanks Leon! Hope you are doing well. We have been talking about you on Facebook!
    I heard that from a new customer
    I am doing well, my wife though just a middle lobe of a lung removed due to cancer, recovering very well. Life is not fair as she is a nonsmoker and this her second bout with cancer, last time it was breast. I have smoked for 60 years, no cancer or lung problems
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-30-2022 at 09:52 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    I heard that from a new customer
    I am doing well, my wife though just a middle lobe of a lung removed due to cancer, recovering very well. Life is not fair as she is a nonsmoker and this her second bout with cancer, last time it was breast. I have smoked for 60 years, no cancer or lung problems
    Good to hear you are well Leon. Sorry to hear about your wife. My mom had a lobe removed as well. Brutal surgery so your wife is very tough. My mom has been cancer free for over 20 years so it worked! Will be in touch as time goes on. Thanks for fixing the beast. She is still running without issues. Never thought I would see the day. LOL

12. Member
    I am doing well, my wife though just a middle lobe of a lung removed due to cancer, recovering very well. Life is not fair as she is a nonsmoker and this her second bout with cancer,
    AMEN brother mine had a liver transplant MAY 24 2022 , she wont even put rubbing alcohol on her skin never drank a drop , immune system disorder AUTOIMMUNE HEPITITIS , doing well so far , its been a journey
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................