Thread: hub question

hub question

Today is the first time ive tried to swap props, ive got the hub out of the old prop and when i drop it into the new one it sticks out about 3/4 of an inch. Am i safe to seat it with a soft mallet or will it seat when i tighten the prop nut? i dont really want to break something on thanksgiving weekend when no one is open. Old prop is a 24p tempest and new one is a 25p new out of the box, on a 16 merc proxs 2 stroke 200hp.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishaholic Ty View Post
    Today is the first time ive tried to swap props, ive got the hub out of the old prop and when i drop it into the new one it sticks out about 3/4 of an inch. Am i safe to seat it with a soft mallet or will it seat when i tighten the prop nut? i dont really want to break something on thanksgiving weekend when no one is open. Old prop is a 24p tempest and new one is a 25p new out of the box, on a 16 merc proxs 2 stroke 200hp.
    Unless there is something wrong with the inside bore tolerance of the new 25P, it should fit and might just require some minor tapping with a rubber mallet, or put a 2 x 4 over the hub and tap it in with a hammer. If that hub fit your prop shaft with a 24P Tempest, it has to fit with a 25P Tempest. If it is a solid hub with Delrin strips, check to make sure one of them is not sideways. If it is a rubber hub, it certainly will need to be tapped in, but you would not have been able to get it out of the 24P easily either.

3. Member
    2x4 and taps with the hammer did the trick, i just didnt want to bust it without having a spare. Thanks!