Thread: Fuel economy

Fuel economy

I’m still learning a 2109 259 ProXS on a 620 FS. I Understand 3 blade props are better fuel economy over a 4 blade. But I have added a kicker and talon so I could use tweak to compensate for longer planing time and loss of trim range before porpoise at slower speeds. A worked Rev4 did the trick on my old 619.
    So to the question: will the loss in fuel economy with the Rev4 be negated by the quicker planing time? This really matter when Muskie fishing Lake Of The Woods and fishing 10-15 spots a morning. That’s a lot of full throttle needed to plane. But also cruising several miles between spots. Might be a wash? And even at $8+ a gallon it still might be worth to pay it for the better performance?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfootstalker View Post
    I’m still learning a 2109 259 ProXS on a 620 FS. I Understand 3 blade props are better fuel economy over a 4 blade. But I have added a kicker and talon so I could use tweak to compensate for longer planing time and loss of trim range before porpoise at slower speeds. A worked Rev4 did the trick on my old 619.
    So to the question: will the loss in fuel economy with the Rev4 be negated by the quicker planing time? This really matter when Muskie fishing Lake Of The Woods and fishing 10-15 spots a morning. That’s a lot of full throttle needed to plane. But also cruising several miles between spots. Might be a wash? And even at $8+ a gallon it still might be worth to pay it for the better performance?
    I am not so sure that general statement is always true. A 4 blade might have less slip on heavier hulls, and besides the better holeshot, less porpoising, the mid range fuel economy is often better as well as being able to plane at lower speeds. If you have a Smartcraft readout and an GPS speedo, you can divide your mph by the fuel flow in gph to get your actual mpg. Your Smartcraft instruments might even display mph.

3 blades are generally only better running top end.... Slower speed efficiency is generally better with a large diameter 4 blade. This lifts the boat much better at cruising speeds.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html