Thread: 2010 250 SHO

2010 250 SHO

I'm looking at a Skeeter boat with a 250 Yamaha SHO. Dealer reports about 540 hours on engine with compression ranging from 165-175. Are these numbers ok? Never owned a Yamaha before but have read all kinds of stories about them blowing up.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

2. Member
    I think somewhere around 2010 there was an issue with certain SHO engine failures. I would contact Yamaha with engine serial number and request service information. The dealer should also be able to request this info.
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

3. Member
    I tried to call Yamaha today but no one answered. The dealer selling the rig is not a Yamaha dealer but they might be able to get me some info. They're offering me a 1 year warranty on the engine from a 3rd party warranty company as part of the purchase price. Not sure if that makes me feel better or suspicious...
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

4. Member
    Get serial number and call Yamaha. Has the powerhead been replaced? Yamaha was replacing powerhead for free on certain early model Sho's starting in 2010.

5. Member
    I've read about the PH replacement and would like to see if it got the upgrade. I've had no concerns running 2 strokes with higher hours in the past. The only 4 stroke outboard I've owned was a 115 Pro XS on an aluminum boat a few years ago. I see lots of the SHOs on the water around here so I'd like to think they are solid engines.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80

6. Member
    I purchased a 2010 FX21 with a 2010 SHO 250 in 2016. 2010 was the first year for the FX21 and the SHO. I understand the FX hull was designed around the launch of the new 4 stroke SHO. In 2010 2 stroke motors were dominant on bass boats so the FX / SHO combo was a big deal for Skeeter. My SHO had 261 hours on it when I purchased it in 2016. It had the factory power head replacement when it had about 200 hours on it so the power head only had 60 or so hours on it when I purchased it. I got an extended warranty with it which made me feel better. I checked with Yamaha with the serial number and they verified the power head replacement and the hours. I understand all the 2010 engines along with some later years (not sure how long) engines were included in a Yamaha voluntary program. I've not put many hours on my engine but it has been rock solid. I keep the oil and filters changed. I think one of the main things that hurts any outboard is not allowing it to properly warm up and cool down. To many people just crank em and go to WOT and make long runs at high speed and then quickly come off plane and shut down. 540 hours on a 2010 is about average usage. It could easliy go another 540 hours or it could go "BOOM" within a very short time after you buy it. That's just part of the stress of outboard ownership. I've said it before but here goes, why can't the outboard manufacturers sell a product that is more robust. I wish someone would come out with a 4 stroke high performance outboard with a closed loop cooling system. That way the engine could achieve ideal operating temperature and stay there so moisture is removed from oil condensation. Oh well, I can dream. Back to your post -- I personally wouldn't be scared of the engine if it has had the power head replacement and if there was a way to verify what kind of care it has been given. The price should also reflect 540 hours.

7. Member
    I was able to confirm it had a powerhead replacement under warranty in 2012 and a new short block in the voluntary replacement program in 2016. Also had a new lower unit under warranty. According to Yamaha, the 530 hours are total, so I don't know how many are on this things installed now. I haven't made a deal yet, but if they still have it tomorrow I might move on it.
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80