New trolling motors?

Is there any consensus as to which new trolling motor is the best one? I know some Ford/Chevy/Dodge opinions. I have Lowrance electronics, is the Ghost the automatic best choice or is Ultrex and Force viable options also?
    I have Motorguide tour now, older one and need to upgrade. 24V and want spot lock. Just lookingh for opinions.

2. Member
    From what I have seen here on BBC, of the newer ones (Ghost, Force, Tour), the Ghost seems to get more accolades than the others. So, with your Lowrance electronics, that would be my choice. Having said that, my Ultrex has been excellent, but, if I were going new, I would want brushless, which the Ghost is.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

I own an Ultrex and yes it has had some issues but the good thing is MK took care of them quickly and parts are fairly easy to find (Better than most)

With that said I like a lot about the Ghost
    The mount seems very strong and low profile is a big plus
    The ability to run 36v or 24v is another plus
    Brushless is nice and the ability to swap transducers is as well
    One con is the remote it seems to be an afterthought and doesn’t compare to others

My biggest problem is “Lowrance” they have a reputation of poor customer service and hard to find parts
    And these motors are not perfect (None are) and when you have an issue (and you will) how long are you going to be without the motor?
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    The only motor I have not used or messed with is the Ulterra. Too many moving parts for me to break. Ended up with the Ghost. The Garmin foot pedal did not work for me at all and no Garmin electronics. The Ultrex needs H'bird for all the advanced features and MG was never in consideration.

5. Member
    Thanks guys.

I’m a year in with an MG Tour Pro with HD+ Sonar. Since updating to Revision H it’s been trouble free, and is the quietest, smoothest running TM I’ve owned, or operated.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    There's plenty of garmins out there and I've run one so if you look back at all the threads on here ,I see very few Garmin problems but they do I just sold my force and bought another . the one I sold the pedal went out called customer service and had a new pedal in 2 days .Garmin has real good customer service

Used Ultrex and Garmin. I'll spend a grand more for the Force, awesome product, silent operation ans do like the foot control, turns as quick as cable .

9. Member
    I love my garmin force. But I also run garmin depthfinders. My only gripe with garmin is the foot pedal doesn't have a programmable button like the ghost.

In my personal opinion the force is the best looking. Uktrec is second and lowrance is 3rd. But looks really doesn't matter.

If I had lowrance units I'd probably have the ghost. But I have never ran one.

I have used my dad's ultrex and my garmin. I'd choose garmin everytime. Having said that the ultrex also works well. I just prefer the garmin.

You're just gonna have to pick which one suits you. I'd go lowrance since you have lowrance units. I think you'll be happy no matter which way you go

Only had the new boat out a couple of times but I love the Force so far.

I got a phone call I had to take and was able to sit at the console and control the trolling motor with the remote.

Trolling motor is quick and much smoother then cable.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    I’m a year in with an MG Tour Pro with HD+ Sonar. Since updating to Revision H it’s been trouble free, and is the quietest, smoothest running TM I’ve owned, or operated.
    Same.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

12. Member
    We get these discussions all the time. I think we need to gauge complaints by the number of units, actually out there on boats. 10 complaints on a brand that has many thousands of motors out there vs hundreds don’t give a very accurate picture of perceived quality. Try and have a friend show you how it works for him. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

13. Member
    Liked my 2-season old Ghost so much I had my dealer remove it from my old boat; remove the brand new Ultrex from my new boat and install my old Ghost in the new boat.
    2022 Ranger z518 / 2022 Merc Pro XS 200 serial # 3B137559

14. Member
    Have a tour pro. Bumped a stumped with the motor off, broke a gear in the head that does the auto steering. Can't find anyone close enough to work on it, so I had to gut a $2600 trolling motor and make it a cable steer only motor. Debating if I want to spend the $400 on the new transmission and try to get it working again myself. Literally the only reason I bought this motor was for spot lock.
    2022 Hog Island Skiff
    Johnson 70/40 jet

Bouncin' off rocks, and catching the smallies.

Potomac River Smallmouth Guide

Owner of Potomac Custom Tackle

15. Member
    Had a force, too many issues between foot pedal and circuit board. Went with ghost shortly after and haven’t had an issue since. Ghost is the winner in my opinion.