Hearing protection

Thanks again for answering all the questions you all have for the rookie in the room. I appreciate it.

What are you all using for hearing protection. As someone who already has ringing of the ears most likely from never wearing hearing protection in the shop I dont want to worsen it. Do they happen to make ear buds with the ability to block gunfire but allow you to pick up speech ?? Would be cool to have a good set of bluetooth that did it all. Seems I remember reading that was available for ear muffs but not sure about ear buds.

Again many thanks

2. Member
    I use a 3M Peltor Tactical Sport earmuff headset while I am using a handgun or observing others on the range. I have also used it while doing yard work, mowing, etc. It does a good job of reducing impulse noise while allowing me to hear conversation and other low level noise. It has variable control that will amplify low level noise much like a hearing aid. I don't use it much while firing a rifle because of interference with the rifle stock. I'll wear foam earplugs while firing a rifle.

There are earbuds that use similar technology. I tried a pair of ISOTUNES Bluetooth earbuds but I couldn't get a good seal without them being uncomfortable. These are not "active" like my 3M Peltor earmuffs but they have similar products that use their "Aware Technology" which reduced impulse noise and allows for voice communication, etc. They allowed me to return the earbuds with a full refund and I bought a pair of their Bluetooth earmuffs which I use for yard work.

3. Member
    The best electronic over the ears is Sordin, Starky and others make custom in ear electronic protection, both are expensive but what is your hearing worh

Yes they make in ear plugs/amplifier for lower volumes. But it has kind of been agreed on that they work good outside but on indoor ranges you should still use an over ear also.

sigsour, axil, walker, tetra, sound ear

5. Member
    Peltor Com Tac V (Muff style) or Peltor 3M TEP-200 Tactical (earplug style) is what I'm using, depending on what I'm doing.

I like anything Peltor….I never shoot inside. I have a range here at my house so I only shoot outside.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Member
    I have tried several walker models. They do not have as high of a reduction rating as the passive models do I have always gone back to the passive models for general use. I do use my amplified ones when shooting and launching clays so that I can communicate easier with the other guys. Mine were fairly inexpensive and the sound quality is not that great. I am not sure if bluetooth is really a good idea for me as I cannot think of any reason why I would want that distraction when gunfire is imminent.

8. Member
    I don't use Bluetooth hearing protection while shooting, only around the house using lawn equipment.

9. Member
    I wasnt really thinking about bluetooth for shooting. More of trying to think of multiple ways to use somethinng that wouldnt be super cheap. So maybe if I could use them for both shooting and the gym etc I can help justify it in my head lol