Ultrex leak location?

I have had it leak three times and the armature replaced twice by the dealer. Has anyone located the primary leak location??? Thanks
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    My bet is it is leaking where the shaft is molded to the motor housing. If it has leaked 3 times then I would opt for a new motor assembly because it will continue to leak.

3. Member
    Mine was leaking around the shaft seal and to my knowledge has never had any line around the shaft. Only way to know for sure is a pressure test with motor down in some water.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. I'll tear it apart myself and seal it right

5. Member
    the seal from where the fin meets the housing is known to fail. had it happen to me in the summer. you can get the rebuild kit (trollingmotorparts.com) i think thats where i ordered from. it simple to rebuild, i ordered extra brush plate,brushes,seal,springs pretty much anything you would need if it was to fail. after rebuild and assembly put some silicone around the fin to shaft connection the where the nose cone meets the shaft.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 04_triton View Post
    the seal from where the fin meets the housing is known to fail. had it happen to me in the summer. you can get the rebuild kit (trollingmotorparts.com) i think thats where i ordered from. it simple to rebuild, i ordered extra brush plate,brushes,seal,springs pretty much anything you would need if it was to fail. after rebuild and assembly put some silicone around the fin to shaft connection the where the nose cone meets the shaft.
    Sounds good. Thanks

7. Member
    Rebuilt it today and found that the dealer here, that fixed it the last two times, didn't add the paper spacer between the two seals on the fin side. I cleaned everything really well with acetone and sealed each cone with silicone. Also siliconed around the 2d puck and where the shaft goes into the housing. We'll see how it works now. Very frustrating when you find missing parts from professionals you pay big bucks to....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    Rebuilt it today and found that the dealer here, that fixed it the last two times, didn't add the paper spacer between the two seals on the fin side. I cleaned everything really well with acetone and sealed each cone with silicone. Also siliconed around the 2d puck and where the shaft goes into the housing. We'll see how it works now. Very frustrating when you find missing parts from professionals you pay big bucks to....
    The Paper seal is put on at the factory. It is just a spacer. It is not really necessary to have. Will not affect the leak problem. As suggested above a leak test with a source of air is recommended to test the whole motor assembly. Adding silicon seal will not fix the problem. The silicon will eventually come off. It will not stick to any part of the motor housing. I would be surprised if the leak is fixed.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    The Paper seal is put on at the factory. It is just a spacer. It is not really necessary to have. Will not affect the leak problem. As suggested above a leak test with a source of air is recommended to test the whole motor assembly. Adding silicon seal will not fix the problem. The silicon will eventually come off. It will not stick to any part of the motor housing. I would be surprised if the leak is fixed.
    I think you might be confused about the silicone seal. I put a bead of silicone over the O-rings where the parts fit together. The silicone is not on the outside it's in between the parts. That won't come out. Didn't know that about the paper spacer so thanks. How would you leak test the trolling motor with an air compressor?

10. Member
    If you have a big enough for the motor to fit in Take an air compressor and adjust the air pressure to 1-2# output. Submerge the motor assembly in the water so the motor is completely under water 1-2" or more past the place where the shaft enter the motor. Use something to prevent escape of air while you have the nozzle in the end of the shaft. Pressure up the motor assembly and if you have any leaks it will bubble out of the leak area.
    Be cautious not to put too much air pressure in the motor assembly. With 1-2 # it should work well.

11. Member
    Heck you could probably do a couple #s by blowing down the tube with a tube taped around the top of the shaft. Might need another set of eyes or have a specified blower on the tube though.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

12. Member
    I was considering drill and tapping a little hole on the bottom with a sealed bolt to check for water intrusion once in a while.

I was considering drill and tapping a little hole on the bottom with a sealed bolt to check for water intrusion once in a while.
    You can check for water easy enough with the bottom case bolt. Especially if you deploy unit while on the trailer.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    You can check for water easy enough with the bottom case bolt. Especially if you deploy unit while on the trailer.
    True. It seems easier to me to have a small sealed screw on the bottom, then having to remove the prop and lower bolt. That lower bolt is greased, locktited and sealed with silicone over the head :) tired of messing with it

Apply a bead of silk-a-flex around the shaft where it enters the motor housing.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodney_h View Post
    Apply a bead of silk-a-flex around the shaft where it enters the motor housing.
    If the shaft and seal are already greased, will that affect the silk a flex?

17. Member
    True. It seems easier to me to have a small sealed screw on the bottom, then having to remove the prop and lower bolt. That lower bolt is greased, locktited and sealed with silicone over the head :) tired of messing with it
    I do not recommend drilling additional holes in the motor assembly. You just adding to the problem.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    I do not recommend drilling additional holes in the motor assembly. You just adding to the problem.
    I have a machine shop, so I'm confident I can drill and tap a small hole that seals correctly :) It is a much easier check than taking off the prop and removing the lower bolt on occasion.

Clean it before applying if it's dirty.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

Water entry point

I'm pretty sure my leak came from the shaft and foot union, with added leaks at the seals.
    The moisture caused heavy electroless in the aluminum. A complete replacement of shaft and motor will be the easiest fix.

https://i.ibb.co/yYfNgMm/55-AF06-AB-...EFF044-FA4.jpg
    https://i.ibb.co/mR6WHfH/8-E1-C292-D...B5300-BA90.jpg
    Last edited by DaveH; 12-02-2022 at 09:14 PM.