So, for a '03 225 EFI would a 250 ignition controller boost any performance.

I have been doing a lot of research to this new to me 225 EFI and there is a ton of info out there. SN OT749027. I was thinking of playing around with it and seeing if I can gain a little horsepower. I searched and found the fuel injectors from a 225 and a 250 seem to have the same part number. I read in other forums that going to a 250 efi controller will give a boost.

So, would this be correct?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

2. Member
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Member
    Good reading but I think I don't want to get that far into mods if I can avoid it. Thanks for the link. I did a search but didn't see this one.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, because your engine doesn't have a separate ignition controller. It has one PCM, which controls and processes all ignition and fuel functions.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Yep, I figured that out when I pulled the cowl to take a look. Thanks for the response. This thing scoots the boat down the lake pretty well now, no additional speed necessary.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I can tell you that this particular engine series was usually quite "hot" once broken in. Seen a couple of 225's that would spin pretty tall props right to the limiter.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor