Thread: Hooking left

donnybassfishing..com

Hooking left

I’ve read in the past people have experienced them hooking left. Is that still the case with the newer boats like the bassport?

I can’t speak for the older models, only the XB-21. I think that if the boat is properly setup and you run a reasonable motor height, hooking is pretty unlikely if you drive with some common sense.

I have owned my XB-21 for 10 years and have never come close to hooking it. When I bought the boat, I was coming out of a Stratos 201 pro xl and had maybe an hour of total seat time driving a friend’s 21ft Bullet. It took me about a month to learn how to drive the XB-21 up to WOT.

My motor failed once at about 85mph. The bow dropped suddenly, but the boat settled right down with minimal drama.
    Brad Luchsinger

2003 Allison XB-21 BasSport 2+2
    2004 Mercury Racing 250XS

1998 Xpress X70
    1998 Yamaha Vmax 150 TRP

2002 Triton 200XP

Quote Originally Posted by mittenbass View Post
    I can’t speak for the older models, only the XB-21. I think that if the boat is properly setup and you run a reasonable motor height, hooking is pretty unlikely if you drive with some common sense.

I have owned my XB-21 for 10 years and have never come close to hooking it. When I bought the boat, I was coming out of a Stratos 201 pro xl and had maybe an hour of total seat time driving a friend’s 21ft Bullet. It took me about a month to learn how to drive the XB-21 up to WOT.

My motor failed once at about 85mph. The bow dropped suddenly, but the boat settled right down with minimal drama.
    most any pad V boat will hook (bow turn) under the right/wrong conditions.
    I've owned 3 Allisons in the last 23 years and hooked one time--- and that was driver error.

4. Member
    I locked up a gearcase at almost a 100. On a 21xd that was real interesting. It skipped like a stone for a second then a real sharp turn.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

5. BBC SPONSOR
    The “hook” is a trait of a V bottom in general. Basically the bow comes down and causes the boat to bow steer in one direction or the other. The XB-21 is very forgiving, I have lost power, pulled killswitch, broken props, gears, LU’s, etc and the boat typically doesn’t get too far out of shape. Saying that, Yes it absolutely can get plum out of shape, and when it does it can be violent. But she is also very good at warning you before things go south - If you are paying attention and listen to what she has to say….short of mechanical failure of course.

General rule of thumb:

Left hook - Prop blow out
    Right hook - Gearcase blow out

Let me know if I can help with an Allison.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0