Kentucky Bass Club/ IN/KY Rally Moderator

Meater ? Worth the Money

Looking at purchasing one of these . Are they worth the money?

Thanks

2. Member
    I don't have one but lm thinking of getting one or two. Them being wireless is a big selling point with me and being able to measure ambient temp is a huge bonus since I do use a probe and not the lid temp gage on long cooks.

3. Member
    They're popular for sure. Been trying to decide between Meater Plus, ThermoPro TempSpike and MeatStick ... probably gonna be Meater Plus.

4. Member
    If you don’t have built in temp probs/gauge on smoker/grill, the Meater is a good option.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    If you don’t have built in temp probs/gauge on smoker/grill, the Meater is a good option.
    I've got 'em, but the newer long range BT probe are nice ... both internal temp and ambient temp, on your phone.

6. Member
    Double post.

7. Member
    I went on ahead and got two of the Meater plus on Amazon today.

8. Kentucky Bass Club/ IN/KY Rally Moderator
    Bought 1 it worked one and that was it. Returned it now looking for another recommendation.

9. Member
    Therm Pro was my go, the only reason I don't use it now is because my smoker has probes, but I do still use the therometer when I take the meat out or put something on the grill.

10. Member
    I got ThermoWorks Smoke X4 and I am very happy with it. It’s very accurate, and you can be nearly a quarter-mile away, and never lose signal. I highly recommend it. Google it and do some reading, I think you’ll be impressed.

11. Member
    What is a Meater/Meater Plus?

12. Member
    The Meater is a wireless temperature probe. It measures the internal temperature and the ambient temperature in your smoker/grill. The difference between the two is the Meater Plus has WiFi built into the wooden base block. It allows you to monitor the cook status on your phone or computer. The Meater/Meater Plus both use Bluetooth to transmit the temperature data to the base block. However, the Meater doesn't have the WiFi built into it, you have to use a WiFi device within a short distance to receive the temperature data and transmit it to the WiFi connection. In other words, you have to have a phone or iPad device that will connect to the Meater base using Bluetooth that then connects to the WiFi system.

The benefit of either system is that it is wireless. I just purchased one to use with the rotisserie that I got for Christmas. I have used it one time and I was happy with it. The app is easy to use and has a lot of meat type selections for the cooking times and temperatures.

13. Member
    I can NOT recommend a Meater Plus and had a terrible experience with the company trying to get a replacement or money back. I used 2 other temp probes to test once I noticed huge temperature differences. I had a neighbor test mine side by side with his Meater Plus, with same poor results. It was 30-40* off all the time compared with 3 others and used less than 4 times.

My complaint is there is no TRUE warranty and all I got was excuses from their customer service department. 8 emails later with the company reps I did not get a replacement or refund. I had the product a few months before I used it, so not less than 30 days for money back but definitely well less than 1 year. The ridiculous BS excuses from them became very frustrating and I realized I was out $100 for a dang temp probe!

I am sure others have had great results with this product, but I did not and cannot recommend a Meater Plus.
    Last edited by jpt7779; 01-10-2023 at 08:56 PM.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

14. Member
    I was considering one, but after reading this, I will never buy one. I know people that own it, but if this is the type of service I can expect I’m not interested.

15. Member
    Thank you Sir for the detailed explanation. As usual I have been outdated again! LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by SDFD29 View Post
    The Meater is a wireless temperature probe. It measures the internal temperature and the ambient temperature in your smoker/grill. The difference between the two is the Meater Plus has WiFi built into the wooden base block. It allows you to monitor the cook status on your phone or computer. The Meater/Meater Plus both use Bluetooth to transmit the temperature data to the base block. However, the Meater doesn't have the WiFi built into it, you have to use a WiFi device within a short distance to receive the temperature data and transmit it to the WiFi connection. In other words, you have to have a phone or iPad device that will connect to the Meater base using Bluetooth that then connects to the WiFi system.

The benefit of either system is that it is wireless. I just purchased one to use with the rotisserie that I got for Christmas. I have used it one time and I was happy with it. The app is easy to use and has a lot of meat type selections for the cooking times and temperatures.

16. Member
    I got the SNS Grills set up and love it. I can read temps 150 yards away no problem.