P2P on older Bass Boat

I recently purchased a 2003 Legend 212 Equalizer with a 2014 250 Pro XS (2B111222). Haven't had any real time out on the water yet, but the Prop to Pad is roughly 2". I read somewhere online that another person with this boat had their P2P at 1.5" Seems a bit low compared to most that start at 3.5" and adjust from there! Give the way my boat is setup, I don't thi9nk I can actually get more then 3 or 3.25" P2P as the motor is almost at the bottom of the slot on the jack plate and as it currently sits, when I trim the motor all the way up while on the trailer, my hydraulic steering on the motor is hitting the top of the cap on the transom?!?! Any thoughts??

Also on hole shot, the bow comes up out of the water very high (can't see in front of the boat and tents to tilt to the passenger side. I can immediately start to trim up a bit to level the boat out port to SB, but was wondering if the P2P has some play in this. I also have a 29" Tempest Plus and am thinking I need to drop down to a 25 or 26 Pitch prop
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2003 Legend 212 Equalizer w/2014 250 Pro XS (SS - 2B111222)

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smav View Post
    I recently purchased a 2003 Legend 212 Equalizer with a 2014 250 Pro XS (2B111222). Haven't had any real time out on the water yet, but the Prop to Pad is roughly 2". I read somewhere online that another person with this boat had their P2P at 1.5" Seems a bit low compared to most that start at 3.5" and adjust from there! Give the way my boat is setup, I don't thi9nk I can actually get more then 3 or 3.25" P2P as the motor is almost at the bottom of the slot on the jack plate and as it currently sits, when I trim the motor all the way up while on the trailer, my hydraulic steering on the motor is hitting the top of the cap on the transom?!?! Any thoughts??

Also on hole shot, the bow comes up out of the water very high (can't see in front of the boat and tents to tilt to the passenger side. I can immediately start to trim up a bit to level the boat out port to SB, but was wondering if the P2P has some play in this. I also have a 29" Tempest Plus and am thinking I need to drop down to a 25 or 26 Pitch prop
    I'm trying to understand what you mean. As far as I know when someone says their PTP dimension is 2" for example that means measuring from the prop shaft centerline UP to the pad on their hull it is 2". So a 1 1/2 " PTP would not be lower (you say a bit lower??) but actually the engine would be mounted higher on the transom at 1 1/2" compared to 2"! For a lot of general bass boat hulls 3 1/2" is a good starting place. Then RAISE the engine in 1/4" increments as long as you gain speed and keep water pressure. When you raise the engine your PTP number will decrease. I hope this helps. PTP influences most every aspect of outboard performance including how effective trim is and also how the hull rides. Often when a PTP is set too low (big PTP distance number like 5") a boat will not only suffer speed wise but will tend to porpoise as there is so much drag in the water that the engine / prop can't keep the hull lifted. The danger of having a too high PTP distance on most hulls is that you lose water pressure which will blow the engine and performance suffers because the prop will cavitate and have excessive slip. I had a friend who kept raising his PTP on a Stratos hull until one day he was running WOT and hit a small wake, the prop blew out (lost grip with the water) and his boat swapped ends with him in a 360 degree flat spin. Needless to say he was lucky, he needed to change his clothes:-) and promptly moved the engine back down. Some high performance hulls run better with only 1" or less PTP or even with the prop shaft centerline set above the pad but those brands are not as common. I am not familiar with a 2003 Legend Equalizer so I may be off base here with my comments. If you boat compares to a middle of the road style and not the real go-fast hulls then I think what I'm saying will apply.

3. Member
    Sorry for the confusion! By low, I meant the measurement and not the motor height, I don't think I can get a much higher P2P number (lowering the motor) as my hydraulic steering is already hitting the stern when I trim up all the way. I would think I can't also drop the motor down in the mount (haven't looked at the mounting holes yet), but then it will definitely limit my trim up. At this point just trying to get input until I have a chance to really play around with it on the water more. My biggest concern was the tilt to the passenger side on hole shot as I I was a passenger in the boat (test drive prior to purchase) when he had it up to 73MPH. It does have a 29" prop, which I also think may be a bit much, but again, need to get out on the water to experiment more
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2003 Legend 212 Equalizer w/2014 250 Pro XS (SS - 2B111222)

Quote Originally Posted by smav View Post

Hard to believe that boat would even get on the pad with a 29 tempest
    Think you will a 25 tempest or better yet a 24 Fury which will probably hit the limiter. Then have the Fury reworked to achieve 6000 rpm with a normal load under conditions, 6200 running light under perfect conditions
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-02-2022 at 01:55 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh