2007 Stratos Trailer Wiring issues after replacing the trailer plug

Hello everyone!
    hope all is well.

I submitted this in the champion forums but maybe I will have better luck here.

Has anyone ran into the issue where simply replacing the plug for the trailer wire, the trailer lights are not working properly afterward?

The Blue wire pin on my trailer plug broke off. So backing into my driveway the brakes were locking up. The manual override did not work. When I bought a new trailer plug I noticed it has fewer wires than what the existing trailer plug had. (both are 5 way)

I tried to "match up' the wires on the existing harness to what was already there and what made sense with the new plug.
    Some lights worked and some did not. It was not correct at all.

Any recommendations on best trailer plug to use to replace the existing plug on the Stratos trailer for a 2007 Champion 210?

Maybe now would be a good time to replace all the lights with LED and the wiring at the same time.
    Has anyone done this yet and do you have a list of the lights you used to replace them all?

Thanks guys and have a great Thanksgiving!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

A 5 way does not have a red wire,not sure where the red wires are going on your trailer but it should not be hooked to the blue lead. This might help you. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

I would guess that the blue wire goes to the brake solenoid and the trailer reverse lights if applicable.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

4. Member
    What are you towing with? Remove the Red wire and only use your blue.

I will crawl under there tomorrow morning to see what the red wires are for. I think they are side markers and now that you say that, I see they are included in the blue backup wire. I see now that is wrong. The red wire should be included with the brown wire if they are side markers correct?

I am pulling with a 2006 F350 with a 5way flat plug on the back.

Thanks for the input. I will come back with my findings.

I don’t know if this is of any help, but the only trailer plug I have seen with a red wire is on Ranger Trailers. This pic from my owners manual shows it in the same location as the blue wire (backup/brake release solenoid) but your trailer has both blue and red wires. Very confusing.

My next step would be to disconnect the red wires at the plug and see which lights do not work. I too would guess they are connected to clearance lights.
    One other thought: I notice the blue wire is not a part of the 2 trailer wiring harnesses that run down each side of the trailer. Has this been added? Is it possible that your trailer did not come with backup lights and someone added them?

Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 11-24-2022 at 10:12 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Here is a replacement 5 pin plug labeled. Your red wire is an option that isn't used on your 5 pin plug.

trailer plug.jpeg
    Last edited by Bullet[BS]; 11-24-2022 at 01:36 PM.

I don't know what I was looking at when I first wired it all together, but it all works.

I checked it all over, ready to start tearing it apart and do one wire at a time. But it all worked. So does the brakes.
    Hope this helps someone out there.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Everything looks good except those RED wires. Check to see if they have 12v to them or if the get 12v only when the Back Up lights are on. If they have power even without the Back Up lights, then disconnect them. The Blue wire should only have power when the truck is in reverse.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Everything looks good except those RED wires. Check to see if they have 12v to them or if the get 12v only when the Back Up lights are on. If they have power even without the Back Up lights, then disconnect them. The Blue wire should only have power when the truck is in reverse.
    The red wires are what threw me off when I was doing this. I will double check to see what they go to. but as of now, everything does seem to be working properly.

Thanks and I will report back with what the red wires are going to.