Thread: 2022 season

2022 season

Figured we could have a 2022 season thread.

With this cold snap we might be able to get out on most smaller Adirondack lakes in the next couple weeks. A buddy sent me a picture yesterday of people ice fishing up in there already. I’m hoping to be out there mid December for some rainbows.

does anyone have any tips for rainbows? We’ve tried live minnows, smelt (jig them up and toss them on a tip up), worms, etc and never had any luck catching them.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Member
    they use to stock a small reservoir here with them and i would catch them on a small tear drop and mousie but these were small fish 12-14 inches i would try a pimple (purple crushed ice)

3. Member
    Most guys use salmon eggs around here.

Up here they tend to use coloured marshmallows
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

5. Member
    Ya I’ve heard powerbait trout eggs and marshmallows are supposed to work good, just never had a flag on tip ups using anything other than minnows. I’ll have to give those a try next time I go out.

putting smelt on the tip up is a pain. They might work good buy 90% chance you end up with an awful mess in your line when you check them
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    For trout, set up about 6-12" under the ice. They feed looking up.

7. Member
    No tips for Rainbows but my 2022/23 season is gonna be fun. Bought a 6x12 wheel house and converted it to have a toy hauler door on the back. All aluminum framed, spray foamed, 8 holes (too many for the house but it came that way), and hydraulic lift on a tiny fish house. Takes no time at all to lift it or drop it back to the ice, like 6 seconds and were ready to move. Just finished installing the flooring in there tonight and have all the rest of the materials in the garage ready to rock. Lots of work yet to do, but it is gonna be a comfy retreat when the weather outside sucks.