Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deck lights.. LED vs Pod

Still considering adding Deck lights to my Skeeter. I upgraded the courtesy lights, which worked out really well, but would like some cool deck lights similar to what Basscat offers with there boats. Seems like led strips or pod/rock light style are the most popular - what's the pros and cons of each. I guess pods require drilling a few more holes... any other issues with either style? I'll be honest I'm not looking to put RIGID money into this, but looking at pod/rock light kits on ebay/amazon etc... or strip light similar to TH Marine I guess.

2. Member
    i did strips and did not have t drill holes but the pods are way neater and professional looking if installed well
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    i did strips and did not have t drill holes but the pods are way neater and professional looking if installed well
    Yeah that is what I was thinking, pods would look cleaner than strips imo, and no worry about sticky back led strips coming loose later, etc. I see a bunch of "rock light" kits on Amazon/Ebay that are pretty much self contained - just mount the lights, connect lights back to central harness, connect power/ground and its good to go. Not sure of the durability of them over say the Rigid kit, but the Rigid kit (like most Rigid stuff) seems way overpriced to me. It's like they are using govt contract pricing :(.

4. Member
    Just get Bluewater LEDs and be done with it. I've had blue strips for at least 10 years and never had one peel off even through a carpet redo. I have white strips under my trailer and they have been there 12 years! They are sold by TH Marine now.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    Just get Bluewater LEDs and be done with it. I've had blue strips for at least 10 years and never had one peel off even through a carpet redo. I have white strips under my trailer and they have been there 12 years! They are sold by TH Marine now.

NoCAL
    You mean these?

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...ront-rear-deck

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...ing-led-system

I've looked at these of course, I thought they had a bad rap for some reason... not sure why. Maybe TH cheapened them up vs the originals?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    You mean these?

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...ront-rear-deck

https://thmarinesupplies.com/collect...ing-led-system

I've looked at these of course, I thought they had a bad rap for some reason... not sure why. Maybe TH cheapened them up vs the originals?
    Could be the case. TH Marine has a pretty good rep but they may have tried to cut costs from when Mike Daleo owned it. Mine have been great but to be honest, I very rarely use them. When I used to do tournaments and there was a TV camera set up, I would turn them on for the TV but it was all about looks, they don't really provide any usable light.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    Get the bolt lights from oznium. Very popular here, neat and unobtrusive. You barely will notice them in the daytime. Various colour choices and two sizes.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

8. Member
    Stay away from the LED strips. I've put them on 3 boats (in various locations) and I've seen them on multiple friend's boats and they never last. Couple of the LEDs on the strand will quit working, or the whole strip itself will give out. I'd stick with a pod or bolt light personally.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

9. Member
    Here's a pretty good deal on a set if you haven't pulled the trigger on some yet.

Deck light kit blow out - Texas Fishing Forum
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    Here's a pretty good deal on a set if you haven't pulled the trigger on some yet.

Deck light kit blow out - Texas Fishing Forum
    I saw those, but he doesn't really offer much info on them, and tbh not sure if just a guy putting together a bunch of ebay parts in his garage (which I could do) or if he is an actual store and a brand name product, etc - the link in his profile goes nowhere. I should PM him I suppose.

11. Member
    I saw those, but he doesn't really offer much info on them, and tbh not sure if just a guy putting together a bunch of ebay parts in his garage (which I could do) or if he is an actual store and a brand name product, etc - the link in his profile goes nowhere. I should PM him I suppose.
    He's been making lighting kits and doing installs for over a decade. I've bought several kits from him over the years so I'd vouch for him as far as purchasing legitimate stuff. You could probably find the same lights (or even cheaper/better ones) online but it's kind of nice that they come with all the install parts necessary (wire, connectors, fuse and a switch).
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post

NoCAL
    this is what I used for strips and still going strong. and stayed in place after a carpet job also!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Get the bolt lights from oznium. Very popular here, neat and unobtrusive. You barely will notice them in the daytime. Various colour choices and two sizes.
    I tried LED stips and didn't really like the look. The bolt lights are a clean looking install. i have a dimmer on mine so I could fine tune the brightness.

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    Those Ozium Bolt lights do look nice... looks like they have 3 sizes now - 6mm, 11mm and 16mm. Is there a preferred size on these? Looks like the 3w only comes in 11mm so that would likely be what I would look at... along with a dimmer switch of some sort.

Just have to make sure I can get my hand behind the gunwale since they secure from the back side.

Here is a pic of bolt lights off and on. This is on my older Triton. On my current one I have rigid lights. I think I like the bolt lights better

Here are the rigid pod lights.

Last edited by Tim W; 11-23-2022 at 04:04 PM.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

the pics certainly make the rigid lights seem brighter with better coverage... or maybe it's just due to different times/camera maybe?

These are from Bass Pro. Lights are encased in a plastic mount and are holding up very well. I used a full 24" in front and then split one for the rear. I'm going to also spit one and put it on the rear deck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

the pics certainly make the rigid lights seem brighter with better coverage... or maybe it's just due to different times/camera maybe?
    Na. The rigid lights are way brighter. I wish I had them on a dimmer.
    Last edited by Tim W; 11-23-2022 at 05:28 PM.

Triton 19 XS Elite, 225 Mercury Pro XS, Minn Kota Ultrex 112, Hydrowave H2, Twin 8' Power Pole Blades, Power Pole CHARGE, Lowrance HDS 12 and 16 at console, Lowrance HDS 9, Garmin LiveScope at bow, Mercmonitor, Rigid Industries Deck lights and other stuff to come that will make me go more broke

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duracraftman View Post
    Stay away from the LED strips. I've put them on 3 boats (in various locations) and I've seen them on multiple friend's boats and they never last. Couple of the LEDs on the strand will quit working, or the whole strip itself will give out. I'd stick with a pod or bolt light personally.
    blue water now t and h will last very well made
    MAGA

I added deck lights to a boat several years back. They damned near blinded me when I stood up to fish and made seeing past the deck harder when running. I quickly removed them.
    When it comes to my boats I am not a bling kind of guy. I felt like they were a solution to a problem I didn't have. Just not for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast