Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1/4 oz swim jig rod

A 1/4 oz swim jig has become my main confidence bait the last couple years. Paired with a couple different trailers, the total weight is anywhere from 3/8 to 1/2 oz. I'm looking to get a different rod for this before next season and I'm looking for suggestions. Because it's something I use a lot, I'm willing to go higher end. I've been thinking about the Megabass P5 Dark Sleeper rod, but am not settled on it yet. I don't do a lot of distance casting with a swim jig, so accuracy is more important than distance. I'd like a rod that I can skip with, so nothing longer than 7'3" or 7'4". I also like a more moderate-fast action since I fish with straight braid or braid to a short flouro leader. I'm currently using a Daiwa Rebellion 6'10" MHRB and although it's not a bad rod, it just doesn't have that "it" factor for me, especially with the swim jig.

2. Member
    Dobyns champ 704/734

3. Member
    Falcon Cara 7”2 Swim Jig its “The Holy Grail” When it comes to Swim Jigs
    Especially with a 1/4 Swim Jig … it’s perfection
    For those who have one … it’s always on the deck for a reason.
    The guys who know … are just nodding their heads….
    The action and tip of the rod is perfectly designed to shake your swim Jig and the parabolic blank is money.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

4. Member
    ALX Skipper or Toadface are my go to skipping/jig rod with toadface being #1.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    Falcon Cara 7”2 Swim Jig its “The Holy Grail” When it comes to Swim Jigs
    Especially with a 1/4 Swim Jig … it’s perfection
    For those who have one … it’s always on the deck for a reason.
    The guys who know … are just nodding their heads….
    The action and tip of the rod is perfectly designed to shake your swim Jig and the parabolic blank is money.
    used one for years…now I use and would HIGHLY recommend a MB P5 Dark Sleeper for 1/4oz swimjigs…it’s money

6. Member
    Custom Vinnie built Lamiglas Infinity 873...ML+ power/Fast+ taper, top 1/4 of the blank and powerful MH backbone that locks in immediately upon loading.

FWIW, this is with braid + leader.

7. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. Having owned a Cara T7 Headturner that I loved, I will definitely check out the Falcon. I’ve also heard a lot about the versatility of the Dobyns 734, so that’s on my list as well. I owned a Toadface and just feel like it’s better suited for a 3/8 or 1/2 ounce, not a 1/4. May look at the skipper though.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Custom Vinnie built Lamiglas Infinity 873...ML+ power/Fast+ taper, top 1/4 of the blank and powerful MH backbone that locks in immediately upon loading.

FWIW, this is with braid + leader.
    Have not heard of this one. Is it readily available?

Two rods that are high end, Steez Universal Light 6'9 Med/Fast and Steez Moving Bait Versatile 7'2 Med. Also look at the Diablo Spec-R, great rod. These are all good rods, just some are a bit more expensive.

10. Member
    Daiwa steez ags moving bait versatile.
    Daiwa steez ags target sniper.
    Shimano Poison Adrena 6'11 m+.

I agree, both the Steez AGS 69 medium "Universal Light" and the 72 medium "Moving Bait Versatile" are excellent high end, highly versatile rods that handle 1/4 oz swim jigs nicely. The 69 medium heavy Target Sniper is more powerful than I prefer for a 1/4 oz swim jig unless I'm fishing around a lot of heavy cover, grass, etc. The P5 Dark Sleeper, as interesting a rod as it is, also does a nice job with those 1/4 oz swim jigs.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by coreynov902 View Post
    Have not heard of this one. Is it readily available?
    Unfortunately these blanks have been discontinued once the rights to the Powerlux was sold. I would post a query on the rod building forum and see if anyone has the power and loading stats of this blank and whether there is a comparable blank/factory rod currently available.

Honestly, you are going to have many excellent options from several manufacturers and in several lengths.

Good luck.

13. Member
    I appreciate all the suggestions. While I would love to try one of the Steez rods, I'm very hesitant since I did most of my fishing out of my kayak this past season and I just can't baby my rods the same way fishing from the kayak. I realize the AGS guides are not terribly brittle, but they do break easier than other guides since there is no flex.

For what it's worth, I fish from a kayak and from a boat, I sleeve them and travel to fish with friends, and the current Steez AGS rods go with me every time. I take care of my rods, but I don't baby them. I've never had any durability issues whatsoever.

15. Member
    I throw my 1/4 swim jigs on a G Loomis GLX 843, it works great for me. If I was looking to upgrade, I would look for a NRX 843.

16. Member
    Zodias 610MH has done 1/4 swim jig duty for me wonderfully. I just received the Rebellion 610MH to compare though its winter time here in WI so it will be awhile for me to know.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2136 View Post
    Zodias 610MH has done 1/4 swim jig duty for me wonderfully. I just received the Rebellion 610MH to compare though its winter time here in WI so it will be awhile for me to know.
    The Rebellion 610MH is the rod I'm currently using for 1/4 oz swim jigs as well as spinnerbaits. It does an OK job but for me it just doesn't have that "it" factor that I have found with other rods. I was using a Megabass P5 Blade before and it was awesome, but I wanted something longer than 6'8".

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I use my P5 Dark Sleeper primarily for throwing a 1/8 5/0 Flashy Swimmer with a Keitech around open water and weed edges. If I were to toss a 1/4 oz swimjig with it, I'd probably thin out the weedguard.

My main swimjig rod is the Gen 2 MB XX Diablo Spec-R.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

19. Member
    Gen 1 orochi xx diablo spec R

20. Member
    I normally throw a 1/4oz swim jig on a Megabass Diablo Spec-R. I’ve used the Dobyns Champ XP 734 in the past and also liked that rod for it.
    Last edited by dylanl; 11-24-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast