Looking for 1982 Mercury / Ranger Trim schematic

Hello, I have a 1982 Mercury BM 150hp sn# 6101202

Please move to a ranger forum if necessary, not sure if the trim motor is a mercury or ranger part.

I am looking for a wiring schematic of the trim motor used on a 1982 ranger 350v w/Merc 150hp black max.

So my trim switch works going down, but not up. I need to use a dmm on the switch, but want to see if the signal is ok going to the device. the connections look corroded, so hopefully i can clean up a connection on the pump side to get it to function.

However, the "trailer" trim button works.

Not sure if that button uses different wiring / solenoid / relay.

Also, any advice on where to drain/fill this unit without getting air into the system would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is the oil in the unit, is from the factory fill back in 1982!

Pics posted below. The shifter pic; from somewhere online, is similar to the unit currently installed on my boat.

The pic of the ram & pump / solenoid assembly is on my boat.

I know the boat is old, but looking to work through this, as I cant afford a new vexus/ranger/phoenix/skeeter/basscat, etc.
    shifter_2b.JPGtrim_1.jpgtrim_3.jpg
    Last edited by aby n; 11-21-2022 at 06:22 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The UP function of the toggle switch is a different output circuit from the square button (these are normally found on a Sterndrive Application). What wire colors do you have coming out of the handle/faceplate?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply & insight Don.

I dont know the colors of the wires, as I haven't pulled the handle apart yet... and i'm color blind!

Hopefully there is enough color contrast between the wires used & I will update when i learn more.

4. Member
    Post a picture of the harness, that way Don can see the colors.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

5. Member
    will do leonreno. The boat is stored away from me & wont be able to get to it till next week. work/holidays/traveling...

What oil do you guys recommend purging through the system & refilling with?

just a basic petroleum based 10w/30 oil, since the seals are old & probably weren't intended/designed to be used with newer synthetic oils.

6. Member
    I was able to capture some pics of the wire colors, pump assembly & confirmed the switch functioned at the lever, but couldnt figure out measuring continuity at the 3 prong plug.

down trim works, up trim doesnt, "trailer" button works.

trim button on bow is broken.
    trim mtr ID.jpg 3 port female socket.jpg trim motor ass_1.jpg trim wire colors_1.jpg trim switch.jpg wire colors outside.jpg
    Last edited by aby n; 12-01-2022 at 02:55 AM.

7. Member
    there is a limit switch on the stbd side of that mtr test for voltage comming from switch on purple/white and blue white at pump you can bypass limit sw by joining wires from it together to verify its bad , or join purple and blue in harness in pic , brn /wht is trin sender for gage grn/wht is down
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Thanks for the insight joe. After leaving last night from where the boat is stored, i wished i made a jumper coming from the 3 prong femaled connector & just jumping from there to see if i can get it to go up/down by eliminating the switch.

With regards to the limit switch, is the switch on the outside on the 150hp mercury motor or is it on the trim oil pump motor? If trim motor, Is it possible for you to edit a picture where you see the limit switch & point to what your talking about? That would help a lot.

If the switch is physically on the outside, i will look for some pics displaying it's location.

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom.
    Last edited by aby n; 12-01-2022 at 12:12 PM.

9. Member
    here is a pic of my stbd motor
    150 BM_4.jpg

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As Maverick said... "It's been a few hasn't it". Joe will correct if my memory isn't serving well: Limit switch was usually up near the top of the electrical plate (as in above the switchboxes). Looked like a capacitor, but was really a mercury switch (both literally and figuratively).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    the 82 has the single ram log splitter trim like the offshore race engines it works off the cross pin in trim ram will be on stb side and gage sensor will be on port side both mounted on swivel brkt each will have 2 wires going to them see the small stainless strap with 2 phillips screws on the swivel brkt , that it , the one DON is speaking off is the mercury switch that shut of mtr if tilted or impact occured its just above rectifier on elec plate blk yellow wire was tied into it for grnd ignition
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wow... like I said, it's been a while.

13. Member
    Thanks JOE54 & Don.

@JOE54, I didnt get any ohm ready on the 3 wired plug with prongs. I tried numerous combinations, but trying to hold it together while activating the switch with my big toe, proved difficult.

i will bypass the stb side switch just to verify harness functionality.

Are those sensors serviceable or simply need to be replaced due to them being sealed?

I think i may need to make some long jumper leads with alligator clips, since im working alone.

ram pic for reference

Thanks for all the help
    ram pic_1.jpg
    Last edited by aby n; 12-01-2022 at 10:40 PM.

14. Member
    will have to be replaced , be luck to find one if its bad , apply 12v to blue wire at switch if trim works sounds like switch is bad , if it was something on pump trailer wouldn't work either , bench test switch with ohm meter

15. Member
    So i verified the switch worked @ the switch, when i removed the switch from the lever. just couldnt get a ohm reading @ the 3 wired / 3 pronged connector that joins at the trim motor assy, yet the down trim & "trailer" worked on the lever / controller.

I am hoping it's just that limit switch. Time will tell. i will be out there tomorrow to mess with that.

I do recall a long bundled paired black wires coming up to the top of the trim mtr assembly. i wonder if thats the limit switch lead. I will post the pic below.

So this old boat may had some electrical gremlins, because ALL the gauges that have wires going to them were all cut in a similar fashion. It was either a pissed guy & said F-this & cut everything due to a battery draw im guessing, as i said "all the wires are cut in a similar manner" leaving about a 1" pig-tail coming off all the gauges or his wife was pissed & went to town.

In saying that, the trim switch up at the bow of the boat is physically broken = no tab. So if crackhead cut those wires too, where do you think those up/down bow trim wires would jump into the scheme of things? it's an 82 ranger 350v.

Would those wires run down the port side with the TM power leads & connect to the solenoids or would they come down the stb side & jump into the harness @ the controller or go all the way back?

trim motor ass_1b.jpg
    Last edited by aby n; 12-02-2022 at 11:52 AM.

16. Member
    jumper the wires that go to limit switch at connection , the connection for the bow trim was in gunnel top of port gas tank if i remember , like MAVERIC said its been a few , Rember nobody says you have to have limit switch

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Remember nobody says you have to have limit switch
    ^^^^^^^^ +1

18. Member
    JOE54 called it! Tilt limit switch was the issues.

Created a jumper after confirming functionality = bypassing the limit switch.

Thanks to JOE54 & BBC boards for the help
    Last edited by aby n; 12-06-2022 at 08:20 AM.

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That Joe is a sharp one for sure!

20. Member