Reel gear ratio for jigging.

I am looking to buy a reel for jigging. 7.1.1. or 8.3.1. Mainly use 1/4 and 3/8oz jigs.

Just to be sure...when you say "jigging," you're just talking about throwing a jig, right? Like around cover? Or something different, like vertical jigging? I might be predisposed to do a double-take when someone uses that word due to where I live. With all the walleye anglers and prevalence of ice fishing, most of the time folks around here mean something very different by "jigging" than the average bass angler does.

Assuming we're talking about throwing a jig like bass anglers usually mean it: Inches per turn matters so keep that in mind, but all else equal I want a fast reel for throwing jigs. Really any technique where I'm moving the bait with the rod, I see no downside to going as fast as possible. It's key in being able to get the bait in quickly for another cast to be as efficient as possible, and in catching up to a fish should they decide to run at the boat. And if I'm moving the bait with the rod, the faster reel isn't going to make me inadvertently fish too fast like it might with a cast-and-wind technique. So in the same breath, if you're doing something like swimming a jig or crawling it on the bottom with the reel, the answer really depends on your discipline. I've always felt that I can slow down a fast reel in those cases, but some like a slower reel to be sure.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    Sorry Drew for not being more specific. Yes, a jig, mainly around rocky bluffs and the dam. Casting, let it fall, popping it off the bottom.

4. Member
    For what you’re talking I like as fast ratio/most inches per turn I can get. You’re typically focused on specific areas and small amounts of the total cast are spent actually “working” the bait so the faster I can retrieve and get back to the juice the better. Also, I find a lot of times the bite just “feels different” or they swim with it, it’s nice to be able to pick up slack and set the hook.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    I like a fast reel also but I've tried both ratios and prefer 7.1:1. With the faster reel I have a tendency to work the jig too fast, especially light jigs like you are talking about.

6. Member
    I like fast reels (8.+) for structure jigs that get manipulated with the rod tip - the speed's just to get them back to the boat ASAP.

7. Member
    Either or is fine. I use both for jigs but dedicated structure/shallow fishing is alway the 8 just because I want to get it in and back out as fast as possible.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

8. Member
    This time of year the slower the better.