Today's Bible Reading Nov 21 2022

In this chapter, we learn of 2 very important matters which occurred in Antioch, for the first time the followers of Christ and His teachings were called Christians, and some type of monetary collection was made according to every man's ability to send relief to the brethren in Judea. This shows a departure for the traditional tithes imposed by the Jews according to their customs and laws.

New Testament: KJV
    Acts of the Apostles

Peter's Report to the Church at Jerusalem

1 And the apostles and brethren that were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
    2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,
    3 saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them.
    4 But Peter rehearsed the matter from the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying,
    5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, a certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me:
    6 upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw four footed beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
    7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat.
    8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth.
    9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
    10 And this was done three times: and all were drawn up again into heaven.
    11 And, behold, immediately there were three men already come unto the house where I was, sent from Caesarea unto me.
    12 And the Spirit bade me go with them, nothing doubting. Moreover these six brethren accompanied me, and we entered into the man's house:
    13 and he showed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him, Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
    14 who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
    15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
    16 Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost. Acts 1.5
    17 Forasmuch then as God gave them the like gift as he did unto us, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, what was I, that I could withstand God?
    18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

The Church at Antioch

19 Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but unto the Jews only.
    20 And some of them were men of Cyprus and Cyrene, which, when they were come to Antioch, spake unto the Grecians, preaching the Lord Jesus.
    21 And the hand of the Lord was with them: and a great number believed, and turned unto the Lord.
    22 Then tidings of these things came unto the ears of the church which was in Jerusalem: and they sent forth Barnabas, that he should go as far as Antioch.
    23 Who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God, was glad, and exhorted them all, that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.
    24 For he was a good man, and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith: and much people was added unto the Lord.
    25 Then departed Barnabas to Tarsus, for to seek Saul:
    26 and when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
    27 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
    28 And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the Spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.
    29 Then the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judea:
    30 which also they did, and sent it to the elders by the hands of Barnabas and Saul

2. Member
    And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
    I was having a friendly debate the other day. So what did they call Christ's followers prior to this? Paul used a lot of words to describe them, but wondered what everyone else called them/they called themselves??

Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
    I was having a friendly debate the other day. So what did they call Christ's followers prior to this? Paul used a lot of words to describe them, but wondered what everyone else called them/they called themselves??
    Question: So what did they call Christ's followers prior to this?

Answer: Many were called Jews including Jesus' Apostles. Their God was Yahweh (pronounced Jehovah in English). The Jews that believed that Jesus was the promised Messiah (Hebrew) (pronounced "Christ" in Greek) became his followers. - John 1:41 The Jews that did not believe Jesus was the Messiah, kept waiting for one to show up, and they continue to wait for one today. In both cases, their God remained the same. - 1 Corinthians 8:6

The following article is accurate Historical and Biblical information on the term "Christian" and how it came to be in our vocabulary.

Learn More - CHRISTIAN

Hope that helps

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LennyB View Post

Question: So what did they call Christ's followers prior to this?
    Their nationality would have been Hebrews, but they were called Jews. However, they were mostly called by whatever province or region they came from or were born in, and their lineage was according to their household dating back to the 12 tribes.

They were called "Jews" not only because of their Hebrew decent, but also because they practiced the Religion of Judaism. People of non-Hebrew decent who converted to Judaism were also commonly referred to as "Jews". In like manner, people that are referred to as "Christians" are people who practice the teachings of Jesus Christ, regardless of their ethnic background.

Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, and his Apostles, all practiced the Religion of Judaism. Abraham, Moses, and David looked forward to when the promised Messiah would come. Jesus fulfilled that role as the one sent by Jehovah God, to offer his perfect life in exchange for the one Adam lost. Jesus' Apostles and others who believed that Jesus was the promised Messiah, became followers of Jesus and eventually were called Christians because they followed the teaching of Jesus, who was called "the Christ".

"And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus". - Acts 5:42

Hope that helps
    Last edited by LennyB; 11-24-2022 at 07:54 AM.

6. Member
    Lenny,
    You are looking at it from a religious point of view, and I thought you were referring to the individualist names many of the people including the followers of Christ.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving and may the love of Christ be upon y'all,
    Frank

I believe "BassFishingLawyer" was asking from a religious standpoint since a person's ethnic background remains unchanged regardless of their religious beliefs.

THE QUESTION: "So what did they call Christ's followers prior to this? Paul used a lot of words to describe them, but wondered what everyone else called them/they called themselves??"

As brought out in the article I posted above and below on how the term "CHRISTIAN" came to be, Bible writers had many terms for followers of Jesus such as: “believers in the Lord,” “brothers”, “disciples”, “chosen ones”, “faithful ones”, “slaves to God”, “slaves of Christ Jesus” , etc....

Their opposers however considered them a cult and had less flattering terms for them such as: “the sect of the Nazarenes”, “this sect”, etc....

Also, there are a number of non-Biblical historical records that report on what early Christians were called, viewed, and treated as the following article explains. NOTE: the scriptures and historical references for all the above are listed in the article for those wanting to research.

A very good article on the term - CHRISTIAN

Hope that helps
    Last edited by LennyB; 11-24-2022 at 08:41 AM.