RPM gauge not working correctly 1997 EFI 200hp. Ser# OG569909

Hello guys,
    I have a 1997 EFI 200hp. Ser# OG569909

Yesterday while running the boat I noticed coming out of the hole the guage shot to the max mark then dropped back down. While running down the lake
    it seemed to steadily move all the way up and then come back down again. It actually seemed a little high compared to where it normally runs.
    Can anyone advise what might be the issue and fix? wasn't sure if it was just the gauge or not ?
    appreciate any help!

Chris

2. Member
    Could be the gauge, if it’s an analog gauge you can look on the back of the gauge and look for the small dial. Verify where the dial is set then Use a flathead screwdriver to spin it back and forth a few times then set it back to its original place. This will help remove contact corrosion on the contacts inside the gauge which can cause erratic behavior. If your motor has regulators and not an alternator, the gray wire coming from the regulators is the tach wire, you can switch the gray wire to the second regulator to see if that fixes it. Though, could also be a problem with the regulator also.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member
    leonreno, thank you ! good info and very helpful. I will check tonight