Pro XB 250 Intermitent Beeping

2001 serial # 0T235011. At first turn of the key to start the alarm intermintently goes beep, beep, beep continuously without stopping for 3 to 5 minutes while engine is running. Then the beeping will stop and never come back for the day no matter how many times I crank up to move around. When the boat sits for a few days and I turn the key to start it, it goes through the 3 to 5 minute beeps again then stops beeping for the rest of the day. The boat runs fine with no issues through its rpm range. I have checked almost every sensor and everything checks out ok. I haven't checked the TPS sensor yet because I don't have the harness to check it but the engine idles and runs fine like it always has. Any suggestions? If I still need to check the TPS could someone let me know the part number for one. Thanks.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you also checked the IAT? Unplugged the Water in Fuel sensor to verify it's not what is triggering the warning?

Have seen a number of IAT's that were intermittent and caused similar problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

I have checked both and they seem to be ok. Is there a warning module on this or does everything go through the computer.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    All goes through the ECU.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you run redundant grounds (2) to the coil plate and lower ECU?

I have not ran any redundant grounds. The lower ECU has a ground on it . Everything is as factory. When I get a opportunity I am going to go through everything again, maybe I missed something.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good idea to add two 10ga grounds: 1 to the CDM ground bolt stb/top side of coil plate, another to the lower ECU (same bolt the current ground is on).

Loop the 10ga wires back to the same bolt the negative battery cable grounds to.

There were a moderate number of these that could have a poor crimp in one of the ground junctions inside the harness (and these two wires would normally rectify that if it were the case). Have seen a pretty wide variety of potential problems caused from this.

Found the problem. Replaced the IAT sensor. The alarm is gone and all is good. Thanks Don.
    20 XD 250 PRO XB

Quote Originally Posted by ccbulletman View Post
    Found the problem. Replaced the IAT sensor. The alarm is gone and all is good. Thanks Don.
    COOL Glad to hear.

I'll do as Don suggested too.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!