Sealing transom bolts

OK, I have right sealant, went up to 5/8 bolts, where would you guys put sealant, what I have done in past is put some around bolt, with bolt in hole, put a circle about 1 inch out from bolt. Any other suggestions that would be better.....
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

2. Member
    I butter the bolt shaft, push it in then pull it out till all is wet before setting the torque. If it has not worked all the way thru on a wood transom it is not enough sealer. Use Urethane sealer on mounting bolts, 1/2in NC bolts in stainless steel have sufficient holding, it is not that you increase bolt diameter but on 250hp and up you add another bolt, especially when Jack-Plates are involved. Transom savers are a wonderful thing too for spreading the torque. Some use crush tubes for prevention of too much torque, you can apply too much causing transom damage. Even Coosa has a compression limit, you do not want to exceed it.

3. Member
    Mine is coosa, I was thinking of putting some resin in it, using boat life. Thought about coating bolt with it, using grade 8 5/8 bolts. Everything else will be grade 9 eco guard. Thought of a circle around bolt about a inch from bolt. Transom has been redone aka upgraded. I have 16 inches of setback with a 300 hanging off of that.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Kevin Bryant said just get tight. I am going to torque to 55-60lbs.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823