Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator

Odd Hot Alarm- 04 225 HO

225 FHLSRM

This started last year. On the run in at the end of the day. The hot alarm came on. Shut it down. Let it sit about 5 minutes. Fired up to load on the trailer no alarm. Over the winter I changed the water pump, checked the thermostats in water etc. All good. Took the boat out several times no issue.

First high school tournament we had a long no wake to idle through before take off. While idling it out hot alarm comes on. Stay idling to get out the way and it goes off. Never came on again.

Went three or four trips no issue or alarm.

Last weekend dump the boat in the water start it up and start to idle towards dock. It hasn’t been running 30 seconds in 58 degree water and 30 degree air temp and it starts to alarm hot. Let it sit 2 or 3 minutes and start it back. Still going off. Shit it back down. About 10 minutes later start it and it never goes off again.

I haven’t hooked the laptop to it to see if the engine is seeing the alarm as well. I haven’t looked at wiring yet either to see if I’ve nicked a wire or some thing is touching.

Just wanted to post and see if anyone else has ever dealt with this? I’ll post more as I troubleshoot it further.

thanks
    chris

2. Member
    I've had my hot alarm go off 2 times, both times I was going slow, both times it was weeds clogging the water intake.

If it ever goes off again, check the intake for weeds.
    1998 Triton TR-20, 2017 Evinrude 150HO

3. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Mud View Post
    I've had my hot alarm go off 2 times, both times I was going slow, both times it was weeds clogging the water intake.

If it ever goes off again, check the intake for weeds.
    Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned I’ve checked the intake and they are clean. It’s a mystery for sure.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    When was the last time you cleaned the exhaust back pressure sensor?

5. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    When was the last time you cleaned the exhaust back pressure sensor?

Cleaned it about 6 months ago sir. Cleaned it and the hose.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    May want to check youtube on emm cooling hose re routing

7. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    May want to check youtube on emm cooling hose re routing
    Will Do!!! Thank you

8. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Well….. It doesn’t appear I have a blockage anywhere. But the pinhole and softened bend in the port hose that goes from the head to blow off valve isn’t helping anything. I’d say I found my culprit.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar

10. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    So I got to take the boat out this past weekend. Still getting the alarm after about a 5 minute idle time first thing in the morning. Shut off and let cool down. Alarm stopped and I took off. No issues all day. I’m going to drop the lower and replace the pump kit and check and make sure my install is correct and everything is lined up. Been about 8 years since the stats were changed so I’m going to replace those as well.

I have good pressure at wide open and mid range. However I did notice at idle the gauge isn’t moving. Good stream out the pee hole. I’m ashamed to say that I don’t remember if it ever showed any pressure at idle. May be a gauge issue but given my alarm at idle but I’m not sure. I don’t have any restrictions in any of the cooling circuit. I’ll update everyone once I get the other components changed. I’m leaning towards pump or my install tho. The pump that’s in it is an aftermarket one not a true Evinrude product.

Does anyone know if you can still get a rebuild kit for the poppet valve? It may not have anything to do with my issue but it is 18 years old. Thought I may rebuild it during the winter as well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rude520 View Post
    So I got to take the boat out this past weekend. Still getting the alarm after about a 5 minute idle time first thing in the morning. Shut off and let cool down. Alarm stopped and I took off. No issues all day. I’m going to drop the lower and replace the pump kit and check and make sure my install is correct and everything is lined up. Been about 8 years since the stats were changed so I’m going to replace those as well.

I have good pressure at wide open and mid range. However I did notice at idle the gauge isn’t moving. Good stream out the pee hole. I’m ashamed to say that I don’t remember if it ever showed any pressure at idle. May be a gauge issue but given my alarm at idle but I’m not sure. I don’t have any restrictions in any of the cooling circuit. I’ll update everyone once I get the other components changed. I’m leaning towards pump or my install tho. The pump that’s in it is an aftermarket one not a true Evinrude product.

Does anyone know if you can still get a rebuild kit for the poppet valve? It may not have anything to do with my issue but it is 18 years old. Thought I may rebuild it during the winter as well.

Marine engine should have the parts your looking for.

12. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Just wanted to update. In case someone else runs into this issue. Hopefully I’ll be posting the fix before too long. Lol.

So I pulled the blow off valve off. Took it apart and cleaned it well. A little dirty water residue but nothing I would consider bad. Cleaned it out and put it back together.

Pulled the stats and stuck them in water and turned the stove on. Appeared around 135 degrees they started to open and went full open from what I could see.

Going to order a new Evinrude water pump kit and change it out. I’ll update once that has been done.

While I’m waiting on it to come in I’m going to check resistance across the temperature sensors to verify they are operating properly.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Found this on a BRP tech forum may be your issue need to check the impeller housing. Your lower calls for the 5001595 kit.

Hello fellow Techs. If you've recently received pump kit # 5001595 please check them out thoroughly. I just received 24 of them in my Fall Stocking Order and all 24 have the bleed hole in the housing. Not used on split lined gearcases as it will cause high speed overheat. The hole is the main difference between the 5001594 and 5001595. I've just started a case. Whats weird is the housing has the proper part # on it.

14. Kentucky Bass Club/Trailers & Towing Moderator
    Found this on a BRP tech forum may be your issue need to check the impeller housing. Your lower calls for the 5001595 kit.

Hello fellow Techs. If you've recently received pump kit # 5001595 please check them out thoroughly. I just received 24 of them in my Fall Stocking Order and all 24 have the bleed hole in the housing. Not used on split lined gearcases as it will cause high speed overheat. The hole is the main difference between the 5001594 and 5001595. I've just started a case. Whats weird is the housing has the proper part # on it.

Thanks Fred. Once this weather is out of here I’m gonna pull the lower off and replace the whole pump kit. I don’t remember the reason but I bought an off brand when I changed it this spring. I had a small issue with it when I installed it. Should have known then and just waited on an Evinrude one. But I will definitely check it once I get the lower off.