Ford Expedition Sag

I tow a 2014 Nitro Z9 with a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4. I have several inches of sag when the trailer is hooked to the Expedition. Any ideas on a good, possibly inexpensive fix to level it out? Air shocks? Stiffer springs? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I'd be thinking something is wrong with the vehicle like the air suspension has failed. A few hundred pounds of tongue weight shouldn't cause a big sag.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. mikesxpress
    It's a 12 year old town vehicle. Have you ever replaced the shocks?

4. Member
    Air lift should have a kit for that vehicle. I have helper air bags in my trucks and I like them. Also agree with Mike above, not sure what option that vehicle has, but socks/springs refreshed should help also.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    It's a 12 year old town vehicle. Have you ever replaced the shocks?
    shocks keep the springs in check, they don't carry the load
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

6. Member
    Leveling the truck will make it worse. Air bags

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Leveling the truck will make it worse. Air bags
    It likely already has a factory air suspension that has failed. No need to add. Just fix.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    It’s actually a 22 year old tow vehicle and I did tell replace the shocks about 10 years ago but I was towing a smaller boat at that time.
    2014 Nitro Z9, Mercury 250 Pro XS, Solix 12’s at console, Solix 12 at bow, Minn Kota Untrex, Garmin 8610 with Garmin Livescope, Minn Kota Talons.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    I'd be thinking something is wrong with the vehicle like the air suspension has failed. A few hundred pounds of tongue weight shouldn't cause a big sag.
    My Expedition doesn’t have the air suspension, just shocks and springs.

Coil over shocks would fix the problem...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

11. Member
    Check to make sure the boat is not too far forward on the trailer. Place a bathroom scale under the front of the trailer and see what the tongue weight is.

12. Member
    Thanks guys.

I have a set of Firestone Ride Rite Air bags on my Tundra and love them. You can level out any load with them whether it be a heavy trailer tongue or just a load of something in the bed of your truck. I had these on my previous truck as well and will never have a truck without them now.
    Triton TR196DC / 200 Mercury Optimax- serial# 0T995641
    Dual HB 12" SI Helix Units
    HB Mega 360
    Garmin 1222 / LVS34 LiveScope
    Dual 12' Minn Kota Talons
    MotorGuide Tour TM
    Bob's Hydraulic Jackplate

Toyota Tundra SR5

14. Member
    I put these on my 1997 Expedition, no air ride, Monroe® - Sensa-Trac™ Load Adjusting Shock Absorbers more details on - https://www.carid.com/monroe/sensa-t...ng-shocks.html

rides a little rough empty, rides better towing boat, were not that expensive either.

15. Member
    I'm with air bags. Does not stiffen the ride without the boat.

Does it have variable rate springs? Moog offers 3 sets. linear , progressive and progressive light duty .
    https://www.moogparts.com/find-my-pa...&subBrand=bcch
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

17. Member
    Had air bags mounted to two trucks in years past for 5th wheel towing and what a difference. They are not crazy expensive and work pretty well. Any vehicle will drop a couple-4 inches when towing a pretty decent size boat but having seen to many overloaded/poorly maintained vehicles pulling something they shouldn't be pulling is pretty dangerous and good luck getting insurance to cover when they find out the ratings have been exceeded.