Need input on Lowrance 9"

I never had any expensive units on my boats but since I moved to Maine this year I fished much more and many new places. I think it is time to put a decent finder on my boat. I've never been a fan of Lowrance because all the inexpensive units I've had either didn't work properly or failed completely. Anyway, I'm looking at the HDS-9 Live with Active Imaging 3-in-1.

Is it an easy one to learn and operate? I've never used a FF in custom mode, always default mode.

According to Lowrance it comes with a 2 yr warranty but can be extended to 5 ys. How does that work?

Thanks
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Member
    All top-end MFDs have many menus, sub-menus and sub-sub-sub-etc-menus that you can get lost in. It takes years to fully understand (and thus fully be able to use to the max) todays marine electronics. But with that said, HDS works very well with default settings as well, as long as the equipment has been mounted properly.

One thing is operating the unit itself, a different story is understanding how the different versions of sonar works. As for 2D (the normal sonar), this might be a good place to start to learn:
    https://teamcolibri.blogspot.com/202...guide.html?m=1

3. Member
    I'd get a Carbon 9 (I did....3 of em) and save the bucks.... search and read Colibri's and NoCal's comments.