Question Using flush port instead of muffs for short idling in driveway...

Can I run at idle my 2021 Mercury 150 4S in the driveway for a short time with hose connected to the flush port for water supply instead of using muffs? Just want to run it after changing oil and fuel filter to check for leaks and short coolant system flush.

2021 Mercury 150L 4S, Model: 1150F13ED, SN: 3B020418

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

2. mikesxpress
    No.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Get one of the Mercury/Quicksilver Pin-Style Ear-Muffs so that you can supply water correctly to the engine.

Coastal Flush port flushes BACKWARDS through the system, and is not intended to be used to run the engine.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Just curious as to what kind of damage it could do to the motor?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Water flow direction is incorrect and could potentially result in the engine overheating, as most of the water would never travel through the entire cooling system.

Also any debris in the system could be sent right down the water tube and into the Water Pump (that you just replaced).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Got it! Thx Don and crew!

7. Member
    Found these: Quicksilver 44357Q2
    I assume these are the style that works on my Merc 150 4S?

8. Member
    Thanks Don

9. Member
    Don't forget to tape off the water pickup at nose of Lower unit, if your 150 has that.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    Found these: Quicksilver 44357Q2
    I assume these are the style that works on my Merc 150 4S?
    Yes. Make sure you know whether there are low water pickups on the nose of the gearcase. If there are, they must also be covered (recommend the "bra" cover Merc offers, or similar device).

Tape works in a pinch... but it doesn't do much for your paint (and I've seen where folks forgot to remove it a few times).

11. Member
    I actually have flushed mine since day one on the flush port ( have lower water pick up extensions and cannot use muffs and don't own a tank) and my temps never go over 145-150º until the thermostat opens then it runs 138º until I shut it off and I've run it for 15-20 minutes in the driveway to flush it out. I have replaced the impeller a few times and everytime I pull it it looks fine not melted or damaged in anyway. With that said though I always have water running out of the lower pickup holes which in my head anyways at least shows that some water is getting to the impeller, like I said I do this every time I use the boat and I use mine 3-4 times a week and have had no issues personally.