Thread: BMW X5 Towing

BMW X5 Towing

I am looking at a 2022 BMW X5 with the inline 6 cylinder (3.0) and will want to tow my ‘06 Ranger 519VX (3500 pounds). Has anyone have experience with towing with this vehicle. I am currently towing with a Ram 2500 diesel. I know it will not be remotely the same. The BMW rating is 7700 pounds. I don’t typically tow the boat more than an hour away. Most times is under 20 minutes.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Member
    You won’t have an issue. 7,000lb capacity is more than enough to haul a bass boat. They aren’t hay wagons.. I tow with a Dodge Durango that has 6200lb capacity and never felt underpowered or undersized. My boat is about the same size as yours. I’ve towed upwards of 4 hours and never felt like I needed anything bigger. My typical tow distance is 1-2hours one way. I’ve always towed with SUVs (explorers, grand cherokees etc).

If anyone has a problem towing a bass boat with a Properly rated SUV, it’s due to the drivers inabilities not the vehicles. I know a few guys who tow all over the state with Ford Mavericks, Ford Edges, Wranglers, Highlanders, etc. granted they aren’t 21’ boats, but they are 17-19’ boats.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Why downgrade? You will miss the truck

4. Member
    Towed my ranger 520 with one no problem at all.

5. Member
    You’ll be good as long as your trailer has brakes. Unbraked towing capacity of the x5 is only 1653 lbs.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBrabec View Post
    Why downgrade? You will miss the truck
    I am on
    my 6th Dodge and love it. However, I have grown tired of my local dealerships not having any competent diesel mechanics. Most dealers only have 1 and the 2 local dealers to me each have a tech, but they seem to only be able to run down checklist when there is an issue. I have been dealing with a coolant leak for 6 months and 3 dealers have looked at it and cannot fix the problem. It is under warranty still. I have spent $1,000’s on rental vehicles while it sits on their shops.

I do love the truck, but I can’t be down this much any longer. I upgraded from a Hemi to a diesel due to a camper purchase and I no longer have the toy hauler. The diesel is just over kill and more expensive to run as a daily driver.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    You’ll be good as long as your trailer has brakes. Unbraked towing capacity of the x5 is only 1653 lbs.
    It is a tandem trailer with brakes.

8. Member
    in roughly 2011 I went from towing with a V8 Tahoe to a v6 in a dodge durange. Honesetly I did not feel any reduction in towing capabilty only increased fuel economy. I was towing a 19'6 1995 Ranger with 200 merc at the time. Now I'm in a slightly smaller Phoenix and towing with a Toyota Highlander. zero issues. I don't think anyone can debate a v6 smaller SUV outdoes a bigger truck/suv with a V8 but as long as you are within mfg limits, I think you are fine.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947