Thread: Dividend Stocks

Dividend Stocks

Been buying some dividend stuff to see if I think it could make a little and add another revenue stream in say ten or so years. I have some of the Global ETF funds that track the S&P, Russel 2K and Nasdaq. They pay monthly and I've been messing around with a few others.

I have three ways money is going to be coming in once I really retire as well as savings. Are any of you guys making decent monthly income on dividend stuff or should I be looking elsewhere.

2. Member
    IMO, cash, bonds and dividend stocks ... in order for 2023.
    Due to inflation and market uncertainity ... invest in yourself.
    Household improvements, smart auto buy, vacation, etc.

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    When I get about 50-55 I plan to start selling growth and moving to dividend stocks.
    Thanos was the hero

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    When I get about 50-55 I plan to start selling growth and moving to dividend stocks.
    I'm 56 and would like to build up to a extra couple of hundred a month in dividends along with hopefully some gains in prices along the way. Mainly buying dips. As long as my initial investments don't start taking a beating I'm going to see how things go. I'm always one click away from getting totally out.

I'm conservative, probably too conservative to really make a lot in stocks. Just looking to generate some extra spending money one day. If it continues to do fairly good maybe it may turn into more. I'm a little over 1% down in one and a little ahead in the rest.

5. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    If it's to generate income, does it matter how much the principal is down? If I'm buying a dividend stock, I only care about the principal amount being down so I can buy more shares. As long as the company is fundamentally sound and the dividend is safe. Share appreciation is irrelevant. I would stick with the "dividend-aristocrats" for passive income into retirement.
    Thanos was the hero

If it's to generate income, does it matter how much the principal is down? If I'm buying a dividend stock, I only care about the principal amount being down so I can buy more shares. As long as the company is fundamentally sound and the dividend is safe. Share appreciation is irrelevant. I would stick with the "dividend-aristocrats" for passive income into retirement.
    Can you give some examples of dividend-aristocrats. Thanks
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

7. Member
    This!

8. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Can you give some examples of dividend-aristocrats. Thanks
    They're a company that has consistently raised it's dividend for 25 years. Examples include, KMB, CLX, KO, MMM. Simply search dividend aristocrat for a complete list
    Thanos was the hero

9. Member
    What do people need? What companies are best positioned long term to be the market leaders?
    Food, energy, health, insurance, banking, consumer, technology, logistics & communications.
    For example ... General Mills, Chevron, J&J, Travelers, Chase, P&G, Apple, UPS and Verizon.
    Obviously, pick your own. Dividend rate isn't as important as consistency, stability and position.

All this stated ... 2023-2024 are probably best in cash, bonds and finally equities. Rough patch.

10. Member
    I bought 5 Preferred stocks a few years ago when interest rates were lower. They had yields that were high, but that has changed. The surrender price has dropped down 30% on some of them. To top it off they are perpetual, so I don’t want to cash out now. What is even worse is that they are all non-accumulative, meaning they can skip years of paying if they are doing bad. The lesson here is, the devil is in the details, plus know what you are buying.

11. Member

Don't mind a mild downturn. I would and have been using that to buy and keep my buying average as low as possible. What I'm talking about is getting killed on investment price. I'm planning on buying more to add to my monthly income and over the next ten or so years would like to see the dividend income continue to grow. I would love to build up to a extra seven fifty to thousand a month on average in the next ten or so years.

My best month so far I'm still under a hundred but it is growing month to month.

12. Member
    Take a look at SCHD if you are interested in a dividend etf. They have a lot of large blue chip companies and when it fell into the mid 60's it was yielding close to 4%. I use this and REGL in one of my accounts I do not monitor as much. They pay quarterly though. REGL is the mid and small cap dividend aristocrats. You can find a list of dividend aristocrats on google. Even though a stock pays a dividend you still want to buy it at a reasonable valuation and check the payout ratio. Dividends are not guaranteed so you need to make sure they are sustainable. Buying dividend payers at reasonable value also gets you a higher starting yield as well.

13. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    https://www.tipranks.com/tools/dividend-calculator

Here's a good calculator for dividends and expected income. I wish I saw something like this when I was 20
    Thanos was the hero

14. Member
    I bought my kids some dividend stocks back around 2010. I bought them each 200 shares of Pfizer at around 17 dollars or so and just put it on dividend reinvest. They now own 262 shares and it is worth $13,500.00. Pfizer is not a fast growing company but the compounding of the dividends and the dividend growth made it grow.