Thread: NFC rod advice

NFC rod advice

I am looking to build 2 rods. One is for A-rigs, the other is for weightless trick worms to be skipped on a casting set up.
    I am wondering if anyone has experience with either of the these 2 blanks. If not, recommendations are welcome.

A-rig rod must be 96". I'm looking at the NFC SWB 806-1 (IM).

Weightless trick worm must be 82" to 84". I am looking at the NFC SJ 705-1 (IM).

I'm still a little intimidated by the NFC charts. I am basing the above choices strictly on line size, lure weight, and blank length. All the NFC blanks I have built so far feel a little slower than advertised so I am really second guessing myself.

Thanks for any and all help or direction anyone can give.

2. Member
    The SJ 705 is considerably more powerful than the MB 705, wouldn't be my weightless worm rod. MB705: IP 566g. AA 71. SJ IP 724g. AA 71 deg. Your lure is I believe in the 3/16 oz. range, SWB 806-1: IP 800, AA 65deg. I use a Seeker CSW808 composite blank, good to 5 oz.

3. Member
    Agree with Spoonplugger regarding the SJ705 being too much for a skipping blank. I use the MB704 or SJ703 depending on what exactly someone is looking for although I typically build those as a spinning rod for skipping cut to 6'2" to 6'6". I'd probably just get the Delta MB714 myself. The SWB805 is one of the ones I've used for Arigs but we can only have 3 hooks and I'll typically use 2 @ 1/4oz and 1 @ 1/8oz so if you're throwing one that's fully loaded the 806 might be a better bet.

4. Member
    I love the vast choices that NFC has, but selecting the right blank still remains a challenge to me. I also don’t get the SJ vs the MB comparisons as some state. My SJ703 XRay is a wimp. The SB724 XRay is similar in softness at the tip, but has a little more backbone. The MB724 XRay I got is significantly more stout than the previous 2. Either way, NFC’s 5 power would be too much for a weightless worm, in my opinion. Based on what I’ve had my hands on, I’d pick the SB724 (but it is 7’2” - might be a little long for some for skipping) or the SJ703.

As far as an A Rig rod, the one you picked sounds good. Personally, Ive personally used Mudhole’s SWB956 and have no complaints. I’ve made several for others and have gotten nothing but rave reviews. Seeing the current pricing, I’ll probably pick up a few NFC SWB 806’s now and see how those are. I like the lighter blank weight listed (throwing an 8ft ARig rod all day for max distance will wear you out in no time if you have a heavy rod).

5. Member
    Thank you for the replies! I will check out the suggested blanks. Always appreciate the help.