Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any of you all using Tungsten Jigs?

This is something that I have been kind of looking at getting but man the cost of them I dont know if I want to or not.
    I use a ton of Jigs and have a pretty good relationship with the guys at Jewel baits and only use their jigs and have for years.
    But the tungsten thing really has me courious on how much better they are.
    My biggest concern is where i fish the most (Tablerock lake) man I loose quite a bit of them. Might have to get me a plug knocker or something.

What ones have you all had luck with.

2. Member
    It’s been the law for years in New Hampshire. They are more expensive for sure and work fine but damn I had confidence in the lead “loon killers” I used to use.
    Red Sox in 6!

3. Member
    75% of the time I’m using a tungsten football jig. Picssso, Riot, Keitech, really any brand are good. Keitech has a very thin hook, especially on the football heads. I’d suggest either using a spinning rod or Med action baitcast for those. I’ve straightened the hook and lost big fish with those but they’re my favorites. About 10 years ago I probably would’ve been crucified for even mentioning Keitech on a public forum. Word has been out for quite some time and basically everyone throws finesse tungsten jigs now. They still eat it, but not nearly as good as they used to be.

The other 25% I’m using the missile jigs (mini flip, finesse football). During Covid, it was hard to find finesse tungsten jigs that I liked so I ended up buying Hyabusa lead football heads and making my own jigs. Same profile as the tungsten, just a slightly bigger head. I didn’t notice a drop in catch rate at all. Even the Missile Ike finesse football jigs have produced very well for me this year. Smaller profile than the other brands and sometimes I think it helps. they’ve been great and I plan on stocking up on those for next year.

As far as losing them, that’s just how the games played. I went through 6 Keitechs the last time I went fishing. I’m not BBC rich, but don’t have a problem putting in an order of just jigs a few times throughout the year. It is what it is. There’s some days on lake Ontario or Oneida that we will go through over 10 on a bad day between two of us. Typically expect to lose or bend the hook on 1-2 per trip. We’ve also had times where we lost over $100 worth of jigs during a trip.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I use a lot of the Keitech jigs for smallmouth. As mentioned, they're light wire, intended for use with a spinning rod. You will have a bad time if you try to use them on casting gear with heavier line. I also use a lot of the Outkast Stealth Feider jigs for skipping around docks, pitching around grass, and even casting on grass edges. In both cases I suppose the tungsten is better than lead, but the real reason I buy those jigs is for their high quality and effectiveness otherwise...both have perfect hooks, weed guards, and profiles for their intended use, and the skirts are a super fine material that looks incredible in the water and that is really hard to source for tying your own skirts.

In general the tungsten makes a more compact shape and is more sensitive (e.g., in dragging applications) due to its hardness vs. lead. Realistically I feel like the time where it will matter the most is with something like a football jig where you benefit from being able to feel exactly what's on the bottom, identify the subtle changes in the bottom, and know exactly when you clear a piece of cover. Even then, it's not going to give you the same feel that something like a wobble head or Carolina rig would, especially if you're using tungsten in those rigs.

In general I feel like the tungsten is better than lead all else equal, but not really worth the additional cost in most cases. Of course if there's a lead ban, it's a different ballgame. Probably also worth mentioning that as companies continue to jack up the price on their lead jigs, that difference can be more minor. There are a few lead jigs out there that cost more than comparable tungsten options...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Tried them once, couldn't make the leap over lead jigs.

6. Member
    Close combat I use lead. Deeper outside edges tungsten for sure. Not much difference between the two with 10ft of line out. Long lining a football in 30ft for smallmouth tungsten is a must in my opinion.

Just picked up some Fish Hammer finesse jigs in 3/16th. Big thing for me on small jigs is the hook. I like the Mustad hook on these FH jigs, stout and sharp. However on all jigs, that is the 1st thing I look at is the hook, lots of jigs will get bites, but what matters is how many of those bites you turn into fish in the boat.

Fortunately we can fish lead here in Arkansas, so no tungsten for me, mainly due to price.

8. Member
    Keitech for me. Spots love them but you do lose a few in rocky areas. I like the smaller profile than the same weight lead jig.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    It’s been the law for years in New Hampshire. They are more expensive for sure and work fine but damn I had confidence in the lead “loon killers” I used to use.
    Out of curiosity have you ever had your tackle bag checked or known of anyone being fined for lead ?
    Ranting incoherently

Bought several hundred tungsten footballs and arkys from China… Just the heads, then I tie my own jigs.. don’t feel near as bad when I lose one then… Have enough for a couple lifetimes

11. Member
    Bill,the honest answer is no.
    Red Sox in 6!

lol true

13. Member
    The penalty is a fine of no more than $250.
    Red Sox in 6!

The penalty is a fine of no more than $250.
    Could buy a lot of tungsten jigs for $250 if you did get busted....

I totally understand the spirit of the law from the saving-the-loons perspective--they swallow small pebbles which their digestive systems use to crunch up their food, and totally see how they end up scooping up lead in that process--but never understood why full-on jigs, spinnerbaits, and the like were part of the ban. It seems like they stuff they would mistakenly swall would be limited to lead shot from stuff like shotgun shells, and lead sinkers. They're not going to mistake a big, skirted, painted jig or flashy spinnerbait for a pebble. Suppose it doesn't matter given that the law is what it is, but still...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

15. Member
    Drew, I and lots of other anglers went to the open forum with the state. I think many of us were surprised that they included things like Spinnerbaits or skirted jigs. The discussion was about small split shot weights mostly. We fisherman showed up as truck drivers and plumbers and the loon/lakes association showed up with lawyers.
    Red Sox in 6!

16. Member
    I've never been checked for a license once I got a boat. They only check the bank fisherman around here.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

17. Member
    I use the Basstek jigs and jigheads. Very good hook, thinned weed guard. You have to be careful pulling them thru laydowns due to the thinned bristles, but the hookup ratio is high. you do need to be vigilant with the knot when fishing rockly areas, it will get nicked up more than some other jigs.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I've never been checked for a license once I got a boat. They only check the bank fisherman around here.
    Game wardens out here are like comets … if ya see one, better take a picture because it may be a while until you see another one. Been fishing here for pretty much my whole life and can count on one hand how many I’ve encountered and still have fingers left.
    Ranting incoherently

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Could buy a lot of tungsten jigs for $250 if you did get busted....

I totally understand the spirit of the law from the saving-the-loons perspective--they swallow small pebbles which their digestive systems use to crunch up their food, and totally see how they end up scooping up lead in that process--but never understood why full-on jigs, spinnerbaits, and the like were part of the ban. It seems like they stuff they would mistakenly swall would be limited to lead shot from stuff like shotgun shells, and lead sinkers. They're not going to mistake a big, skirted, painted jig or flashy spinnerbait for a pebble. Suppose it doesn't matter given that the law is what it is, but still...

We can still use spinnerbaits. Or any thing with a blade if I have read the laws here correctly.
    Lead shot was banned here a really long time ago.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

Picasso tungsten for me. I’m always looking for a good jig. A Tungsten Jig made in the USA would be a plus.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast