ZXR Helix removal questions.

Working on removing my helix 12 to replace with lowrance. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the mega live transducer pulled out. Does anyone know are they zip tied in with the harness or have any tips/tricks. This is turning into pita.

Mine is older and a ZX, but they definitely zip tied the transducer cable to the harness at the factory, super pita to remove. In fact, I have two old transducer cable runs abandoned in the chase from cockpit back to bilge - the original LSS-2 and thru-hull, both of which I've replaced. In my case both were old and I didn't care so I just cut away what I could. But if you are trying to save the transducer not sure what you can do. You can reach up alongside the rear compartment and get to one tie from the bilge typically, but there's at least one more that you can't reach and will have to try and get to by pulling the throttle plate and reaching back towards the bilge to get to it. But even then I'm not sure there's not at least one more tie :(.

3. Member
    Staff thanks for the info there. My even swap on electronics just cost me some money as now I will likely loose the trade on the ducer.

4. Member
    Any advise on how to run the new ducer cables. Plan was to pull old out with a wire attached to pull back through.

I normally use a Klein pull stick, but you can use any similar flexible wire pulling stick...

This is the 15ft version, which should cover both bilge to console and console to bow...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CQM3U4I

Simplest way is to remove the throttle lever plate (it won't completely remove, but you can pull it away from gunwale after removing the torx screws to get access to the wiring chase/run area) and fish the stick from there back to bilge. Pull cable up to that point. Then depending on how your console is setup, you can reach forward and push the transducer plug cable through the small side access point that brings all the wiring to the console. If you can't reach it, the flexible stick will also work for this (coming in from console main opening, through small access hole, back to throttle plate area), but you will have to bend it a lot, nearly 125 degrees or so... ask me how I know lol. But it will work. One of the reasons I went with Klein instead of a no-name knock-off stick.
    Last edited by 78Staff; 11-17-2022 at 09:27 AM.

6. Member
    Yep going to get a fish tape or pole. I’m loosing $200 in not being able to remove the transducer. Spoke with skeeter this morning and all hummingbird wires are zip tied in. Only way to remove is to cut transducer out. Terrible install by the factory and not thought about the customer making upgrades down the road other than take to a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    Working on removing my helix 12 to replace with lowrance. Cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the mega live transducer pulled out. Does anyone know are they zip tied in with the harness or have any tips/tricks. This is turning into pita.

If your 13 is a DI G3N version I would be interested in buying it if you plan on selling. Thanks

8. Member
    It is a 12 SI GN4. I do have a 10DI GN 4 and a 9 DI GN 4. I am planning on trading them in to RMP. Getting enough credit for two 9 carbons and a 12 live. I had some lowrance ducers left over from my years on the state team. Figured I would make the swap without it costing me a bunch of money. Let me know if you want one of those and what you want to give for it and It's yours vs trade in. Pm me if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    It is a 12 SI GN4. I do have a 10DI GN 4 and a 9 DI GN 4. I am planning on trading them in to RMP. Getting enough credit for two 9 carbons and a 12 live. I had some lowrance ducers left over from my years on the state team. Figured I would make the swap without it costing me a bunch of money. Let me know if you want one of those and what you want to give for it and It's yours vs trade in. Pm me if you need to.

I just mostly need a G3N or above 12 with DI to be used as a CHO. It's gonna replace my Helix 9 up there now. Thanks