250 ProXS Engine Mounted Oil Tank Replacement (HELP)

Hey guys I have a 2009 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250 Two Stroke Serial Number 1B764513 and model number 1250P73ED My engine mounted oil tank level sensor has went out and I have ordered a new one and the Special zip ties that go with it. I have a zip tie gun to install them but can’t find anything about what the tension strength it should be set to for installing them. (The tensile strength) if anyone knows I would greatly appreciate that. Also I called the local marine shop and asked after install could they do a hook up and prime my system. They told me fill half full and crack the top and crank it up and let it bleed completely before screwing the top back on. Should I call another marina and take it for the priming or is this correct? Thanks guys. I know it’s a easy replacement but I feel that it should be primed and then bled. But they acted like it was no big deal on the phone. Like stated any help would be greatly appreciated about the tensile setting for installing the ties for the oil lines on the engine mounted tank. You guys have a awesome day.

2. Member
    The correct procedure is to have an oil pump prime sequence performed after replacing the reserve tank. If your local marine shop won't do it, find one that will. Can't answer your "tensile strength" setting question but I'm quite certain someone here will.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    Thank you for the reply! Yea lol I’m starting to thing snug is good. With the setting of the tie gun lol. I can find anything on how tight it should be

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Forget the tie-gun. Waste of effort and money for this application- and often leaves them loose enough to leak everywhere.

Honestly: I hand a new tech 5 tie wraps, put a piece of hose on a bolt, and tell him to tighten until they break, one click at a time.

After he's fought to break 5... I tell him the correct torque is "one click shy of breaking".

Not very scientific... but has worked quite well for many, many years.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Forget the tie-gun. Waste of effort and money for this application- and often leaves them loose enough to leak everywhere.

Honestly: I hand a new tech 5 tie wraps, put a piece of hose on a bolt, and tell him to tighten until they break, one click at a time.

After he's fought to break 5... I tell him the correct torque is "one click shy of breaking".

Not very scientific... but has worked quite well for many, many years.
    It's a "learned" feel isn't it. Have never used a tool, just a dull pair of small side cutters as you said "one click at a time".
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax