Florida Jerkbait fishing

What are you florida guys, opinions about using a Jerkbait, down here in florida? If so, when do you tend to use it? All year or like from October to March? Do you jerk it thru/out of the grass tips? I'm not a deep water fisherman, and here in florida, where i fish, deep water is like maybe 12'. I will fish that water column, but nothing deeper than that, except maybe with a Carolina rig. Give me some input here. Am i missing something, or what? Thanks in advance.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels
    Favorite saying "JUST 1 MORE".

2. Member
    Jerk baits are a northern thing. I’ve never caught anything down here with one, summer or winter and everywhere in between. Might as well send your Visions for proper disposal.
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

3. Member
    I was using them year round for my main technique for a number of years down here. Different times call for fishing them different ways. Haven't been able to fish for over a year and a half though, and even had Scoliosis added to my many issues. Had enough with, and from neck and back.
    Last edited by 250bassFL; 11-17-2022 at 03:15 AM.

4. Member
    We use jerk baits. Spring fed lakes are an example. Clear water is key.
    Lethal in the correct places. Rapala X-Rap is a good choice here, IMO.

5. Member
    I always keep a jerkbait on deck - have had success with it in both clear water and on the brackish river. It kills throwing it when fish are busting the surface feeding, tho probably quite a few things do.

We used to use the clackin minnow on pre spawn at Okeechobee. Slow retrieve until it touched eel grass the rip it.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

7. Member
    So my question is this. I usually use the 3-5' diving Jerkbaits. Do you reel it down into the middle of the grass, and rip it thru the sparse grass, for a reaction bite or do you tick the tops of the grass, or does it depend on what the fish want or tell me? I am used to using jerkbaits in open water back in NH. Never ripped one through grass like they do, down here in florida. Please fill me in on any info that anyone is willing to share with me.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

[QUOTE=NHbassfisherman;12770498]So my question is this. I usually use the 3-5' diving Jerkbaits. Do you reel it down into the middle of the grass, and rip it thru the sparse grass, for a reaction bite or do you tick the tops of the grass, or does it depend on what the fish want or tell me? I am used to using jerkbaits in open water back in NH. Never ripped one through grass like they do, down here in florida. Please fill me in on any info that anyone is willing to share with me.[/QUOTE
    Just deep enough to touch the top of the grass, everytime it touches the grass you rip it.

9. Member
    Thanks BOATS.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

Quote Originally Posted by NHbassfisherman View Post
    Thanks BOATS.

11. Member
    one of the best in florida still.
    https://www.franksgreatoutdoors.com/...kaAvJtEALw_wcB
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottOz View Post
    Yes they are

13. Member
    shhhhh..... the JB I use the most - the gold prism/ black back orange belly is MONEY in Florida's clear water lakes.

P.S. I can buy almost 4 Long As one MB - always good to know in some of our pickerel infested lakes
    “It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so. “ – Mark Twain

14. Member
    Do any of you guys, use spinning gear for Jerkbait fishing? I have read where atleast 1 well known pro, uses spinning gear, and i understand his reasoning. The ease of casting (without rats nests) is a big plus for me. And the ability to work the JB, much easier and even finesse. I have a couple questions. If i decide to go the route of spinning gear, do you recommend a composite spinning rod? I have found a couple composite spinning rods but they are pricey. Or is the 6'10" Medium power, with Fast action all i need? Flabasspond, i actually have several of those JB that you are referring to. Should i be fishing that specific one, even during this time of year? Please help me out here, guys. Am i over reacting and thinking i need to get a spinning rod for Jerkbaits, here in florida. I don't use the deep diving jerkbaits. Just the 3-6' ones. My specific rod for Jerkbaits now, is an Ike series Delay casting rod. 6'8" Medium power. But i do struggle to get the jerkbaits any distance. Help me out here guys. Thanks in advance.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

15. Member
    Do any of you guys, use spinning gear for Jerkbait fishing? I have read where atleast 1 well known pro, uses spinning gear, and i understand his reasoning. The ease of casting (without rats nests) is a big plus for me. And the ability to work the JB, much easier and even finesse. I have a couple questions. If i decide to go the route of spinning gear, do you recommend a composite spinning rod? I have found a couple composite spinning rods but they are pricey. Or is the 6'10" Medium power, with Fast action all i need? Flabasspond, i actually have several of those JB that you are referring to. Should i be fishing that specific one, even during this time of year? Please help me out here, guys. Am i over reacting and thinking i need to get a spinning rod for Jerkbaits, here in florida. I don't use the deep diving jerkbaits. Just the 3-6' ones. My specific rod for Jerkbaits now, is an Ike series Delay casting rod. 6'8" Medium power. But i do struggle to get the jerkbaits any distance. Help me out here guys. Thanks in advance.
    A BFS reel on ML rod will launch those jerk baits with ease. I use a KK Zephyr on a custom 7 ft ML NFC blank. All I can say is wow!
    2019 Vexus 1880 w/ Mercury Pro-XS 115 4-stroke, MK 80lb Fortex, Twin Helix 7 Birds, Pro II PowerPole. AEguideservice.com

16. Member
    Medium rod fast tip is what I like for jerkbait fishing. Actually, Ive been doing very well with them since September. Got this nice one Thursday just before sundown at Headwaters... 4.40
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1988 Bass Tacker Tournament Pro V17, 70 HP 2 stroke Mercury, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 7CV (SOLD)
    2022 Bass Tracker Classic XL, 50HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 93SV, Micro Anchor

17. Member
    Spinning rod or casting rod? I currently have a designated Abu Garcia Ike series Delay casting rod, for Jerkbaits. Its 6'8" , medium action. Can't seem to get the distance i would like, casting it. I generally throw the 110. Either Megabass, Berkley Stunna 112 or the Googan scout. Don't throw any finesse size Jerkbaits.
    2004 Ranger 185VS
    150 Evinrude
    2 Lowrance 12" graphs
    Daiwa Rods & Reels

18. Member
    Spinning rod or casting rod? I currently have a designated Abu Garcia Ike series Delay casting rod, for Jerkbaits. Its 6'8" , medium action. Can't seem to get the distance i would like, casting it. I generally throw the 110. Either Megabass, Berkley Stunna 112 or the Googan scout. Don't throw any finesse size Jerkbaits.
    I use a casting set up. 7.0 ft 12lb fluro.
    1988 Bass Tacker Tournament Pro V17, 70 HP 2 stroke Mercury, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 7CV (SOLD)
    2022 Bass Tracker Classic XL, 50HP 4 stroke, Minn Kota Edge, Garmin 93SV, Micro Anchor

19. Member
    In the early 1970's, (wow 50 years ago) fishing Rodman when it had all kinds of aquatic vegetation and plenty of it we had many great days throwing I believe back then was called a Husky Rapala. We would locate large areas where what we called Coontail moss about three feet below the surface. Would cast out as far as we could and then burn the Rapala back over the top of the coontail as fast as we could. NOTE, reels back then were 5 to 1. Fish would slam that bait hard, what a thrill !.
    Wonderful times for several guys in their 20's when we could go to Palatka Fl. stay in motel and eat out at 1 of 3 restaurants daily all on less than $ 100.00 for 7 or 8 days.
    Fished out of homemade 13 foot boat with a 25 year old Evinrude that you didn't know if it would start at the end of the day, scared to death of gators and snakes and fortunately never had to spend the night out there. Did sink, swamp it 3 times in heavy wind but managed to get to shore each time until the wind died down.
    Caught lots of bass and big ones too. We did not know how good we had it, fabulous times for sure.
    50 years later I treasure those times. It was a good time to fish Florida. I am blessed to have those experiences !!!
    520 L TDY