Waddington ny area questions

What are the most common brand of gas stations in the area ? Any special requirements for the boat or angler fishing such as flare guns etc being close to Canada. Best mapping chip for lowrance?

If you fish within New York State/U.S. waters, you'll need to meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements and anything that New York State has added on to the list of safety equipment. You can get that info on-line.

If you plan on fishing Canadian Waters, that's a whole different thing. Remember, there is an International Border there! Anyway, some one here with the knowledge on the "do's", "don't' s" and the "you'll need" will surely chime in.

I've never done it, but I think you have to have a passport on you, maybe a Canadian fishing license too. I'm not sure but you might have to notify the Canadian's too? All just a guess of course.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

3. Member
    Fishing Lic.yes, Passport no, and must notify them if you come on their shores, and don't move until they come . other things hope someone will chime in give us a lesson , but thats all I was told when I was up fishing St. Lawrence

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    There are Valero and Sunoco stations for gas. Navioncs mapping will be fine.

As far as fishing in Canada goes you will need an Ontario fishing licence. Be aware that smallmouth have a closed season on the Ontario side until the first Sat in July. The New York side opens June 15.

You don't need a passport unless you touch Canadian soil at which point you need to call Canada Customs. Touching soil also means anchoring your boat. There are a bazillion fish on the New York side. There's really no need to fish Canadian waters unless you are in a big tournament and want the most water available to you.

I live across the river from Waddington and there are scads of nice smallmouth within 15 mins of the Waddington launch. Its quite possible to stay a week and not make much of a dent in a full tank of gas.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 11-17-2022 at 08:37 AM.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    There are Valero and Sunoco stations for gas. Navioncs mapping will be fine.

As far as fishing in Canada goes you will need an Ontario fishing licence. Be aware that smallmouth have a closed season on the Ontario side until the first Sat in July. The New York side opens June 15.

You don't need a passport unless you touch Canadian soil at which point you need to call Canada Customs. Touching soil also means anchoring your boat. There are a bazillion fish on the New York side. There's really no need to fish Canadian waters unless you are in a big tournament and want the most water available to you.

I live across the river from Waddington and there are scads of nice smallmouth within 15 mins of the Waddington launch. Its quite possible to stay a week and not make much of a dent in a full tank of gas.
    So I will need Ontario license if I cross the river by water?.

Quote Originally Posted by munchie View Post
    So I will need Ontario license if I cross the river by water?.
    You will need a Ontario license 'if' you fish on the Canadian side of the border. You can access a Navionics map here to study where the border is for the river. The black line in the middle of the river is the border. (In the section of the river shown below.) Stay on the U.S. side and you'll be fine, though you will need a NYS Non-Resident fishing license.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=e...key=mxzpG~w_jM

Last edited by OBT; 11-17-2022 at 07:00 PM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

8. Member
    I just came back from VT/Canadian lake. As long as you dont touch shore, anchor or touch another boat in Canadian Waters, you'll need just a Canadian Licence and another canadian permit thing, it totalled around 85 bucks. The border guys are really nice and have a sense of humor. I asked them about transporting illegal alien fish into Canada without a passport, i think they are still laughing ;)

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Note use of shallow water anchors in Canadian waters is technically coming ashore. Do not get caught with your pants or poles down!!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Note use of shallow water anchors in Canadian waters is technically coming ashore. Do not get caught with your pants or poles down!!
    Thank you for pointing that out that power poles are considered anchoring, so if the OPP A-holes see you, you will get a talking to. Do not argue with them, yes sir no sir.
    If you have one of those enhanced Real ID license, you can enter Canada without a passport, and with regard to safety gear, it is basically the same with the self inflation PFD not being consider as a life preserver unless you have it on you.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Thank you for pointing that out that power poles are considered anchoring, so if the OPP A-holes see you, you will get a talking to. Do not argue with them, yes sir no sir.
    If you have one of those enhanced Real ID license, you can enter Canada without a passport, and with regard to safety gear, it is basically the same with the self inflation PFD not being consider as a life preserver unless you have it on you.
    dang. No powerpole, not sure that be issues anyway that time of year

12. Member
    Depends on when you are going up, the poles are a none issue. However, getting a Canadian license should be a primary, unless you are going to be hugging the US coast line, since up there the fence line is about 1/2 mile, which is about the center of the river. I don't fish up there, but at our place down by Chippewa Bay, you have a bit more room for error to the fence line though I would still recommend getting both licenses.

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    You'll spotlock a whole bunch more than poles down. The rocks and current will see to that.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    You'll spotlock a whole bunch more than poles down. The rocks and current will see to that.
    Yea, good point about the current, which is really amplified down stream just like the Narrows near A Bay.
    Last edited by digthemup; 11-21-2022 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

15. Member
    Might want to check flares and an anchor as a requirement in NY.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BUCK65 View Post
    Might want to check flares and an anchor as a requirement in NY.
    I remember flares, didn't know anchor was required

17. Member
    I remember flares, didn't know anchor was required
    heres a good guide for what’s required (page 28):

https://parks.ny.gov/documents/recre...atersGuide.pdf
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    heres a good guide for what’s required (page 28):

https://parks.ny.gov/documents/recre...atersGuide.pdf

Excellent link. Loaded with boating information that everyone should take a few minute of there time to read.

19. Member
    Navionics or lakemaster chips will show red line and label it Canadian….
    a lot of good water on. US side don’t have to cross over…

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360