Thread: 2014 SHO

2014 SHO

Hi all,

I'm currently looking at purchasing a 2014 Ranger that has a 2014 Yamaha SHO 250 on it. The motor only has about 55-60 hours on it. My plan would be to have my mechanic look it over before purchasing, but I am a little reluctant because the boat really just sat for 8 years.

Is there anything specific you guys think I should look for when checking the motor?

Is this something you would stay away from since its been basically sitting for so long? What are you thoughts on a purchase like this?

I'd be fishing pretty regularly with it.

Appreciate the help and feedback.

2. Member
    I'd probably drain all the old gas out of it, put fresh gas in it with Stabil, run it (if it runs fine, keep running it) and then at the end of the season replace all the fuel filters.

It it hasn't been done already, change the lower unit oil and replace the fuel/water separator before running it the first time.

That's what I would do if I was buying it.

3. Member
    I suggest a complete 100 hour service be accomplished such as oil and all fuel filters replaced, plugs, engine oil, lower unit oil, and replace impeller. You will see what appears to be low water pressure on gauge and pisser, it is normal due to water plumbing, again completely normal.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

4. Member
    I'm running a 2014 SHO. Currently close to 600 hours. Overall has been a great engine, but cracked a head at 250 hours. Yamaha installed a new long block under warranty and made the issue painless. The story I got was there was an issue with the casting on the heads. I would be concerned that the engine you are looking at may have that issue. You may want to ask Yamaha about this and also some experienced Yamaha techs.