2001 225 optimax blew new rings (break in procedure)

All I posted a more descriptive post in the wrong forum but I blew two sets of brand new rings off pistons in a new to me 225 optimax. As mentioned the motor is new to me and before we put it on my boat a trusted quality mechanic did a ring job on it. Does anyone have a break in procedure for this they know to be accurate? I have done some searching and only found some details for an evinrude on Crowley Marine. Thanks.

2. Member
    consult factory MERCURY MARINE SERVICE MANUAL
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Rings came off pistons? How? Ring lands damaged?
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    standard piston in a .044 hole probly , you know they are now
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Hmm, that would suck joe
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Member
    Had to have measured before going through all that huh…
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RMabus View Post
    All I posted a more descriptive post in the wrong forum but I blew two sets of brand new rings off pistons in a new to me 225 optimax. As mentioned the motor is new to me and before we put it on my boat a trusted quality mechanic did a ring job on it. Does anyone have a break in procedure for this they know to be accurate? I have done some searching and only found some details for an evinrude on Crowley Marine. Thanks.
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Rings don't just "Blow off the pistons". There's got to be a bit more to this story.

Follow the recommendations in the Factory Owner's Manual. You can also reference the FAQ Section in this forum for Optimax Engine Break-In.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor