Remote fill on seastar steering.

My 2019 z19 has a remote fill tube on the helm, I'm trying to figure out where the fill line is or how to know when you need to add fluid, any help would be appreciated.

There is no need to check the fluid level. In fact you don't want to open the cap an introduce air to the system because air in a hydraulic system is enemy #1. The two most common symptoms of needing to add fluid and purge air from the system are soft/slow to respond to movements of the motor verse how much movement you done at the steering wheel. The second is if at high speed when the motor has a lot of torque and you turn the wheel and if fells like it pops that is a sign of low fluid with air in the system.

Unless your having symptoms like I described above or if you actually see a fluid leak I would not do anything. I would however visually inspect the system for a leak/drip every once in a while. Here is a post I made on how to purge air from the system...

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1060846

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    There is no need to check the fluid level. In fact you don't want to open the cap an introduce air to the system because air in a hydraulic system is enemy #1. The two most common symptoms of needing to add fluid and purge air from the system are soft/slow to respond to movements of the motor verse how much movement you done at the steering wheel. The second is if at high speed when the motor has a lot of torque and you turn the wheel and if fells like it pops that is a sign of low fluid with air in the system.

Unless your having symptoms like I described above or if you actually see a fluid leak I would not do anything. I would however visually inspect the system for a leak/drip every once in a while. Here is a post I made on how to purge air from the system...

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1060846
    I read my seastar owners manual and if I'm comprehending correctly the fluid should be about a 1/2" from the top of the hose, it's too the bottom, also it has a vent plug, isn't the vent plug to purge air at the helm while in use?

Had to redo mine a few years ago, the purge is on the cylinder at the motor. Its the mechanism that actually turns the motor. Mine has a bleed valve on both sides of the cylinder.

No idea on how full it should be and as stated above I have never checked on any of my boats.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

5. Member
    Sounds good tks Gene and Bryan.