Question Air injector question

I have a 2003 200 Optimax #OT651149. Has a bad air injector in #6 cyl. New ones run about $757.00. What are the pros/cons to installing a good used one? I noticed some are black and others blue. Part #8M6001743. TIA Bruce
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

2. Member
    They are different must stick to what u have
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    black and blue will interchange gray will not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I personally would not install ANY "used" injector that has not been cleaned, VALIDATED, and confirmed to operate at the full range of expected RPM's the engine runs.

"Used" injectors are out of their original engine for SOME reason. VERY FEW of those reasons would be good for the injectors.

I can tell you we tried to have a "used DI" program. After spending an inordinate amount of money trying to find "good" used injectors, it became apparent that 5:6 "Used" ones available in various marketplaces would not perform properly.

And... one bad injector can cause cascading failures in the others within a very short number of hours.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    I personally would not install ANY "used" injector that has not been cleaned, VALIDATED, and confirmed to operate at the full range of expected RPM's the engine runs.

"Used" injectors are out of their original engine for SOME reason. VERY FEW of those reasons would be good for the injectors.

I can tell you we tried to have a "used DI" program. After spending an inordinate amount of money trying to find "good" used injectors, it became apparent that 5:6 "Used" ones available in various marketplaces would not perform properly.

And... one bad injector can cause cascading failures in the others within a very short number of hours.
    Don, I would rather install new however they are on back order until Dec. 13th and then no guarantee for that date. Have tournaments to fish and would like to get back on the water ASAP, that's why I was thinking used. I did find a new old stock one PN 850065A12. Would that work?
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's an appropriately superseded part number for a Blue DI.

Did you contact our Parts Department when you were looking for a new one? I'm gonna say we probably had what you needed.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Nothing wrong with a used injector. Send your whole set out with the new used one (to EM) to all be cleaned and flowed. You'll still be on the water sooner and cheaper than waiting on a new one.

Usually when an engine blows up, it's 1 or 2 pistons and there are still 4/5 injectors that are still fine. Like Don said, check it out before you run it though.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Especially since the air side of the system is actually an open loop (meaning any debris from a failed cylinder MAY potentially migrate across the air side of the system).

9. Member
    Thanks for the info and advice.
    Bruce Theriot
    2003 Champion 196 Elite
    200 Mercury Opti max
    25 Tempest A45