Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What has changed your deer hunting success the most?

Just curious if anyone has a product such as feed supplement, lure, call, cover scent or any other product that they feel has really changed their hunting for the better. I had a non-hunting friend that won a Scent Crusher kit at a benefit for a young girl we both knew who had cancer. After he won the kit he brought it over and gave it to me. I have used it the past three seasons now and have had deer completely circle me numerous times in the past three years without winding me. I understand with a deer's nose nothing is bullet proof but I really believe in this stuff from the results I have seen. Kit came with a bag to keep clothes in, body wash/shampoo and odor eliminating field spray. In the past I would keep my clothes in a plastic tote, have tried multiple soaps and sprays but always seemed to get busted. I feel very confident every time I use these items and was just wondering if anyone else has anything that has really changed their hunting for the better too.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Trying to not let the buck know I am hunting. I am much more sneaky in my access and exit from my stands. I see way more mature bucks since I started sneaking to and from my stand sites.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    Age and experience.
    2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

My wife & I have performed some of our own field test with the Scent Crusher products. Mainly the Ozone Go Max plug-in and the results are almost unbelievable of how the deer respond to us & our JD Gator without it and then with it. There’s definitely something about ozone and eliminating your human scent. Age, experience and stealth sneaking are certainly list toppers as well!

5. Member
    Getting out of a stand and stalking.

6. Member
    Your never going to beat a deer nose 100% all these gimmicks don't work as good as simply hunting the wind. Not that being said they might buy you some time but eventually they will figure you out. I think it confuses them as they know it's human scent but it's not "hot". Like when your behind a lady with perfume on versus someone who isn't. For me the one product I won't hit the woods without is deer herd in a stick. they will absolutely become 100% calm and will often lay down around your stand.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

7. Member
    Really paying attention to the wind & hunting accordingly. I got Hunt Stand app & use it every time I hunt or plan my hunt to track wind. Sometimes wind will change through out the day so I have to change accordingly. I also focus on scent but since I made wind #1 priority I have seen more deer, the deer come closer to stands, I see bigger deer, and rarely get busted. If wind is not right I won’t even go to certain stands to keep from educating them. I’m telling ya it works.

8. mikesxpress
    Most of the ozone generator products have been abandoned due to the toxic nature of breathing ozone. You rarely see any of them in use at the stand on the hunting shows. They do work well for elimination of odors on loosely arranged clothing in an enclosure as long as the generator is capable of 200-400 mgph (milligrams per hour). *Note: Repeated use of ozone at these levels will destroy elastic/rubber/some plastics/poly blend materials. This includes plastic zippers.
    I have a Scentlok OZradial EZ unit I occasionally use for vehicle odor elimination and it works well. I don't bother with ozoning the clothing or scent elimination sprays. And as mentioned previously, I also hunt my stands based on the wind. Hanging a section of 2' long construction ribbon out at 20-50 yards gives me a physical wind indicator as well as a yardage marker for bow hunting.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 11-18-2022 at 07:57 AM.

9. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Best thing I have done is get in a lease with fewer people. Now hunting 1,800 acres with 4 people. Spend way to much on it but it's amazing what 0 pressure does to them. I have them walking all around me, under me and I don't use any products. My theory is if its gonna happen, its gonna happen.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Crispi boots. I put alot of miles in every season, probably over 100 miles on my feet during hunting season. Crispi boots are the first boots to keep my feet dry and pain free even after 2 years of use.
    Sitka and Firstlite gear. Quality gear means I'm more comfortable in all weather types, means I'm in the woods more often.

And most importantly, coming to the realization that no hunting product on the store shelves can eliminate human scent because we still need to breathe, and we constantly shed cells. I have yet to see a dog get fooled by any scent control product. If you can't fool a dog in a controlled setting, you're not gonna fool a deer in their own home.

If scent control products give you confidence, then keep using them. Confidence is important
    Thanos was the hero

11. Member
    Bought a Heater Body suit few years ago. No more getting cold and leaving stand. More time in stand equals better odds.

12. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    Crispi boots. I put alot of miles in every season, probably over 100 miles on my feet during hunting season. Crispi boots are the first boots to keep my feet dry and pain free even after 2 years of use.
    Sitka and Firstlite gear.
    If scent control products give you confidence, then keep using them. Confidence is important
    my son turned me on to Crispi boots. He is wearing his in the mountains of New Mexico as I type. Firstlite make the best stalking pants there are. I use sent control products to reduce the amount of scent left in an area. I figure the less it smells when I leave the less deer will avoid the area.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

13. Member
    Cellular trailcams honestly…. My taxidermist loves me.

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos81 View Post
    Cellular trailcams honestly…. My taxidermist loves me.
    This also. I’m running 6 of them now and keep pretty good tabs on them and when and where they’re moving.
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

15. Member
    Archery hunting,food plots,and ground blinds with shoot through netting,got the first double bull over twenty years ago.

Cameras. They confirm that deer move a lot after 9-10 am which gives me confidence to sit longer or get out there earlier for afternoon hunts.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Evercalm

One of my favorite changes:
    I found that hunting my way to my morning stand made me much more successful hunter than banging around in the dark. I don't know how many deer I have killed on my stillhunt/walk to my the stand, or how many I chased out of the area when it was dark enough that they could see me way before I could see them. It's almost frustrating at times to get up at 0dark:30, take my unscented shower, get dressed and then kill a deer before I make it to my stand lol.
    (this technique doesn't apply during bow season of course)
    Azure AZ200 (with stuff like cupholders, bathroom and table)

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Trying to not let the buck know I am hunting. I am much more sneaky in my access and exit from my stands. I see way more mature bucks since I started sneaking to and from my stand sites.
    Ha, wish I had followed your advice this morning! I put up a new stand on Thurs due to shifting patterns so I just used the old skid trail for access instead of cutting a path in from the back. I was still getting settled in the stand when the buck hit my boot tracks and that was all she wrote.

The biggest change for me happened when I realized I needed to be hunting quality sign instead of quantity of sign. Once I focused on the buck travels and ignored the does/fawn trails my success rate went way up.

Product wise...toe warmers! Freaking absolute game changer! But ultimately no product is as valuable as experience and learning to slow down...way down. I hunt mtn whitetails on public land.. no tree stand, trail cam, atv or corn pile.. when you are a mobile hunter hunting them in their turf you better move slow, at the right time and be constantly aware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast