Acts 5: 1-11 Ananias and Sapphira

This is a very interesting part of Fifth chapter in the Acts of the Apostles, with very powerful lessons both in giving and honesty. Whether or not you are a believer in works and teaching of Christ, these passages are applicable to our conduct and relation both to God and men.
    In this story, we can clearly see that the husband and wife conspired in their lies, even though their giving was a completely free choice on their part, which it is the same in our giving onto God to support the teachings and ministries we support. No one should feel or be made to feel that you must give according to whatever others may wish to impose on you.
    Christ, as well as others in the NT, have it clear that giving should be an individual's choice from their heart, without any feeling of guilt or resentments.

Yet, Ananias and Sapphira, in their resentment and greed, conspired against God, who is the giver of all we have even our very lives, by trying to hide money and the actual sale of their property. Clearly, they knew that there was no need for them to do such a dishonest thing, but they wanted to boast and be perceived as great benefactors.
    Peter makes it clear in his statement " 4-While it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart?"
    that we have choices and God does not aspect us to utilize the freewill that He has given us. Imagine they would have stood before Peter and said, we have sold a possession, and this portion we are giving to the church, would Peter have accepted it? Based on what I have read and the statements Peter has made, I will say yes, and it would have been fully acceptable to God. God makes it clear that he does not desire 'sacrifices' in Hosea and Psalm 51 of which Jesus speaks of: “Go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice. '” (Matthew 9:13).
    God hates sin.

2. Member
    I would say "yes" as well - would've been fine - it was the deception that did it

3. Member
    What got them into trouble with God was they promised to give the entire amount of the sale of the property,but withheld some. When you make a promise to God,you better keep it. That being said,God never has,nor ever will need our money. It's all His to begin with anyway,He just uses it through us to further His Kingdom.

4. Member
    Very well said Robby, and welcome to our forum, since I believe this to be the first time I have seen you posting. I pray that you will share your thoughts and knowledge with us in the future.