Making the Switch

Looking at going from a Triton 21TRX to a 19' Vexus. Just seeing about fishability, handling in rough water etc... Do they blow around a lot? Never had an aluminum rig. The one I'm looking at has a 150 4s Mercury.

2. Member
    Don't blow around to bad just don't backup in water very well better if you leave motor trimmed up

They back up fine. Trim the motor up so the prop wash isn’t blasting against the back of the transom. Once you learn that trick backing is easy. I went from a Skeeter ZX200. First time I backed the boat, I was like what crap is going on. Trim motor up and the world was right again.
    Getting blown around is a non issue with the new trolling motors.

Rough water is also not a Thing in a Vexus AVX. If you ever have been to lake Powell. There is a section called the narrows. They have nicknamed it “Maytag” solid rock walls on both sides, wind rips through the canyon walls and wakes bounce off the walls as well. Its basically a shit show in the afternoon. My 1880 handled it remarkably well. My buddy has a Tracker 195 and he had to follow me to keep from having his teeth rattle. We had to pry his hands off the steering wheel.

Enjoy the new boat. You will love it.
    Last edited by ifishinxs; 11-15-2022 at 12:58 PM.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Looking at going from a Triton 21TRX to a 19' Vexus. Just seeing about fishability, handling in rough water etc... Do they blow around a lot? Never had an aluminum rig. The one I'm looking at has a 150 4s Mercury.
    Chris, must be a 20' AVX 1980 (19'-10") I'm guessing with a 150 engine. The 19' AVX 1880 (18'-10") is rated for 135 hp.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boat4Life View Post
    Chris, must be a 20' AVX 1980 (19'-10") I'm guessing with a 150 engine. The 19' AVX 1880 (18'-10") is rated for 135 hp.
    Yes its the 1980. Just a little hesitant qbout the ride and handling basically. Seems like it has enough storage and I like the layout.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    Yes its the 1980. Just a little hesitant qbout the ride and handling basically. Seems like it has enough storage and I like the layout.
    it will ride as good as your glass boat and handle way better. They turn like a slot car. You just need to line up a test drive.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    I will echo ifishinxs' sentiments and add that I normally use my Ranger 522DVX for running and fishing on Chequamegon Bay for the fantastic smallmouth bass fishing that exists there and this year, I used my 2021 Vexus AVX 1980 for all of my fishing trips on this large inland chunk of Lake Superior and it handled everything extremely well. I admit that the more I think about the two boats during the "off-season" the more I'm considering selling the Ranger and being without a "big" fiberglass bass boat for the first time since 1994. The Vexus AVX 1980 is that good for running big water and fishing for smallmouth bass!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

8. Member
    I don’t care what anyone says, I love my Vexus, but It for sure DOES get blown around. And It in NO way handles rough water like a glass boat does. There’s a lot of reasons/pros to own one, but these are two cons that you just can’t help with a light aluminum boat. It just is what It is.
    Obviously it’s not so bad that I won’t own one. But it’s there, and noticeable if you come from a glass boat.
    Anyone that says these are not issues, is just ignoring It. Some people are homers and can’t point out the bad in boats they own.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

9. Member
    Yes, of course they are better than a tracker. But will you get wet in really rough water? Yeah for sure. I had to go 15mph across Texoma, It was so rough. Big bass boats were passing me like nothing. Then I had to have the hull replaced because It cracked lol.

Yes I’ve owned many boats and know how to drive them.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

10. Member
    I always say this. An AVX rides as good as some glass boats, but not as good as all. If that makes sense.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

11. Member
    I went from a Ranger 370v to a Tracker 190tx. I'm in here because I'm looking to upgrade to a Vexxus eventually because I want a tad bit more speed and they look like great boats overall.

On the water, very shallow water aside, a glass boat beats an aluminum all day. They cut through heavy chop without transferring that energy to your teeth. They're more stable to walk around (though I've almost fallen out of my Ranger a few times when the guy in the back made sudden movements). And yes, an aluminum will get blown around more, but with spot lock and/or talons it's not that big a deal. I make a few trips to Champlain every year and plan my outings strategically based on wind direction and wave size. I've been out in 2-3ft chop and have to go slow in order to avoid a pounding, but it is what it is.

Off the water the aluminum wins hands-down. They're easier to tow and you can tow with smaller vehicles, they're easy to maintain, easier to put on the trailer if you can't power-load (a lot of my lakes are electric only), move around the dock, and if you need to jockey the coupler onto the ball hitch when hooking up to truck, you can move it yourself without pulling a hernia.

I think before making the leap, you have to assess your fishing water and situations you normally find your self in, maybe even get out in an aluminum and see for yourself.
    Last edited by paul40269; 11-18-2022 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    I always say this. An AVX rides as good as some glass boats, but not as good as all. If that makes sense.
    Which glass boats does it "ride as good as"? I hear this argument a lot so it would be interesting to see which boats Vexus beats out in the ride category vs glass.

OP is asking about fishability, handling in rough water and do they get blown around a lot.

Fishability.....As good as glass but maybe a bit less stable at rest depending on maker and model.

Rough water.....Glass will probably win the battle most of the time with this one. Try to keep up with a glass ride in a 1-2 foot chop. Also things can be done with a glass hull that can't be done with aluminum make the glass one more efficient and faster with the same length hull and motor.

Do they get blown around a lot.....Yes, but spot lock and poles helps this but wouldn't you rather have a boat that doesn't get blown around by the wind?

With the weight of aluminum rigs now getting close to their glass counterparts I'm not even sure that towability is worth the gain any more. A Vexus 1880 hull is 1500 lbs. A glass 18' boat is around 1800 lbs, basically the weight of a heavy fishing partner.

Let's talk about price. 2022 Vexus 1880 with a 115, Lowrance electronics and troller. $47,900 before taxes and prep. I picked up a leftover 2021 18' glass boat, 150 Mercury Pro XS, Garmin troller and electronics for $45,000 OTD.

What it comes down to is nowadays if you are comparing aluminum to glass there are no major advantages really, just personal preference. You can do better cost wise purchasing a glass boat over certain aluminum boats. I just recently went through the process and that's what it is, a process. I spent a lot of time doing doing research. Good luck with you purchase if you do decide to jump the fence. I would definately do as others have said and take a ride in whatever aluminum rig you decide on.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    What I mean is be realistic in your comparisons. Does it ride like a VX21 or a 521? Of course not. Will it ride as good as a smaller fiberglass, 17'6". Probably. Does it ride better than an older style glass boat from the late 80s or early 90s, yep.

The wind does impact them, for sure. Are they stable while fishing, I think so. Again you can't compare it to a 20 or 21 foot glass boat.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

14. Member
    Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to keep the Triton and eventually repower to a 4 stroke.