What could have changed?

When I got my new boat last year I installed my Helix 10 MSI + G3N on the bow. Power wires and transducer cable are separated. I have the new Motorguide Tour trolling motor. I could run it at any speed and run any sensitivity setting on the Helix with no problems with interference. Now for some reason i'm getting interference only in DI mode and that's at all frequencies. If I turn the sensitivity down I get get rid of some but not all of it. Any ideas of what might be going on?

Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustedhook View Post
    When I got my new boat last year I installed my Helix 10 MSI + G3N on the bow. Power wires and transducer cable are separated. I have the new Motorguide Tour trolling motor. I could run it at any speed and run any sensitivity setting on the Helix with no problems with interference. Now for some reason i'm getting interference only in DI mode and that's at all frequencies. If I turn the sensitivity down I get get rid of some but not all of it. Any ideas of what might be going on?
    Thanks
    Try connecting a ground wire between the first TM battery neg and the start battery neg.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

I do not know about a MG, but there is a fuse in the head of Ultrex trolling motors that cause the same issue you are describing.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies.

5. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Let us know when you have a chance to check things out and provide additional information. Trolling Motor interference can be hard to diagnose.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
    Let us know when you have a chance to check things out and provide additional information. Trolling Motor interference can be hard to diagnose.
    Will do. Its frustrating. Probably be spring before I try to figure out what's going on.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Step one is to run the motor on 100% and see if the interference goes away. If so, it’s electrical noise being coupled from the PWM pulses into the electronics.

Do you have a NOCO charger?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    [QUOTE=CatFan;12753040]Step one is to run the motor on 100% and see if the interference goes away. If so, it’s electrical noise being coupled from the PWM pulses into the electronics.

Do you have a NOCO charger?[/QUOTE
    Helix is on a dedicated battery. No charger in-line.

9. Member
    Rusted, First of all the higher the frequency the more susceptible the sonar is to noise. Your Di is high frequency all the time, but the higher settings (800 and Mega) will be the worst. Even though you have separation between the cables, there is always radio interference through the air. Might require a ferrite ring with the transducer cable wound on it. Wound through it several times right at the back of the helix. Would go there first (small price and quick to do). A tip I painfully found after much troubleshooting. If the boat is not in the water while checking for noise you are wasting your time and chasing Your tail. The water grounds the hull (metal boat especially) to a high degree and eliminates most noise (plastic boat through the motor ground and/or the trolling motor in the water as well) JMO’s Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go