03 225 EFI, will a torquemaster fit on this engine and what years do I need to ask fo

I have a bent prop shaft on my '03 Mercury 225 EFI sn OT749027. I want to put a torquemaster on it but not sure what years or engine size will work. I know they didn't come with them but I understand some will fit. Any insight?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    To do this you would need a 20" (L) shaft length Gen-1 Torquemaster from a 3L engine model.

Mercury doesn't use "years". These were commonly found on the ProXS 225/250, and some 225/250XS engines. The large propshaft version (which is what you would want) came out in mid 2004, and was used through the end of 2011.

What feature of the Gen-1 TM is it that appeals to you?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Mine has a bent prop shaft and I have a buddy that has a 1st gen with a skeg issue he would sell for $500. No bent prop shaft and I can get the skeg repaired for $200 at a local prop repair shop.

just don't run it to fast

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FeFanatic View Post
    Mine has a bent prop shaft and I have a buddy that has a 1st gen with a skeg issue he would sell for $500. No bent prop shaft and I can get the skeg repaired for $200 at a local prop repair shop.
    Not recommended... it's a cambered skeg with very specific geometry. If you're going to be over 55mph with the boat, skeg "repairs" are really not a good idea.

Lots of good cases out there to be had....

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Actually I have been re-thinking this already. I may just order a new prop shaft and replace it. Seems like the simple thing to do.

7. Member
    ^^^^ agree
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably smart. If you get in there and find further problems- that Standard gearcase (the old ServiceMaster) is about the least expensive of the OEM 3L Gearcases (actually by several thousand dollars!)