Considering lithium

I have a little 16' Tracker, so weight savings is solid gold. I've considered lithium in the past, but now I'm getting more serious in that I have 2 12v on the verge of needing to be replaced anyway.

I am running a 31 for all my electronics and cranking and a 29 bank for my trolling motor (12v Terrova). Those with experience, did you have any recommendations on brands? I assume I need a lithium specific charger? Any info would be appreciated.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Check out our 24v-60Ah for the troller and we do have a few options for starting

Call me with any questions

205-965-8436

Bill

3. Member
    I have a 2011 Stratos 176XT with a 25 hp etec that I use primarily for a “Newton or Coffeen”
    boat. Before I had 2 group 27 Napa deep cycle batteries. That ran my Ultrex and all the electronics in my boat. Never had an issue but my batteries were also getting old. I just got on Amazon and ordered 2 12V 50AH lithium batteries for $199.99 a piece. Half the price of any other “big brand” battery. Yeah they only have a 5 year warranty but for the price difference I thought what the hell it’s worth the risk plus for that price as hard as I use them I’d take 4-5 years for that price as well. It’s been almost a year and so far they’re nothing but amazing. I will say that I did get a small power sports battery as a starting motor because my dealership told me using lithium could void my evinrude warranty. I got it at rural king and it weighed 13 lbs. It runs my garmin 93SV I have at the console and my live well and bilge pumps. The lithium batteries have been nothing but amazing. Just a few weeks ago I fished a tournament at Newton. We fished offshore all day and it was white capping and blowing 20-30 mph all day. Windy enough water came over the front of the boat a few times. I used spot lock all day. After 8 hours of that I went home and put it on the noco genius on board charger and they were only discharged half way. I think I could have fished another full day or at least almost that without charging. I was skeptical at first because they were from Japan and only $199.99 a piece but they’ve been great. Also before I could run about 15 with 2 people with tackle and after getting lithium I can run 18-19 so the weight difference helped the boat itself out a lot too. If you watch enough videos of people dissecting lithium batteries on YouTube and do other research you’ll soon find out that almost all lithium cells come from the same place. My personal opinion is that these “American made lithium brands that sell 12V 50AH batteries for $400-$600 were ripping me off and I was just paying for the name. So far I’ve been right. Hope this helps you.

4. Member
    Thanks for the input, this is quite helpful as my spring fishing consists of long, hard days in Newton and Braidwood near me. Once summer hits, I'm not out for really long hours so the battery issue is not much of a concern. Like you, I'm needing to replace mine and am just considering lithium as an option to improve efficiency and minimize weight if possible. I talked with Philly on this and he shared some concerns with function in cold weather. After my research, it seems like if the packs get at or below freezing, they don't charge, or will ruin the cells. I've considered Battle Born as they have a switch that engages a heat source to help wake the batteries up in order to get them to charge, or to function if they go into "safe mode." That said, I think the differences in price will just be related more to bigger companies (R&D) and their tech. Some batteries are considered "smart" in that it's harder to screw them up. Whereas others may not have the auto cutoff mechanism and could be destroyed if elements don't allow for proper charge. My knowledge on this is limited, so I may not be totally accurate in my assumption. Nonetheless, I appreciate the input, especially someone who parallels me at Newton as spot lock seemed to just kill my lead acid (needing to swap at lunch to get through the day).

5. Member
    I've got an Alumacraft 1650. I have a regular cranking battery and 2 50amp Ionics for my 24V Ultrex which is plenty for that boat. My dad's jon boat which is on an electric only lake has a 50amp Battleborn for his 55lb 12v Minn Kota clamp on, got it for him because the regular batteries got too heavy for him since he's 80 now, it's also a little lake so if he goes dead he doesn't mind blowing into shore, tying the boat up and walking back to his car, he never fishes that long any more anyway maybe 2 hrs at a time and it's always been plenty. I think it died on him one time but he had probably used the boat a dozen times without charging it.

If you're going to stick with the 12v Terrova I'd personally probably opt for a 100amp. I like the Ionics because of the app but I think any available from the board sponsors will meet your needs. NOCO and some of the Minn Kota chargers are fine for lithiums.

6. Member
    No problem man!! The batteries I got also have the bms protection, over discharge protection, over charge protection, over current protection, short circuit protection, low temperature charge/discharge protection and the bms protection is rated for 60 AH so it does have all the protection that you need.

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisbassfishin View Post
    I have a 2011 Stratos 176XT with a 25 hp etec that I use primarily for a “Newton or Coffeen”
    boat. Before I had 2 group 27 Napa deep cycle batteries. That ran my Ultrex and all the electronics in my boat. Never had an issue but my batteries were also getting old. I just got on Amazon and ordered 2 12V 50AH lithium batteries for $199.99 a piece. Half the price of any other “big brand” battery. Yeah they only have a 5 year warranty but for the price difference I thought what the hell it’s worth the risk plus for that price as hard as I use them I’d take 4-5 years for that price as well. It’s been almost a year and so far they’re nothing but amazing. I will say that I did get a small power sports battery as a starting motor because my dealership told me using lithium could void my evinrude warranty. I got it at rural king and it weighed 13 lbs. It runs my garmin 93SV I have at the console and my live well and bilge pumps. The lithium batteries have been nothing but amazing. Just a few weeks ago I fished a tournament at Newton. We fished offshore all day and it was white capping and blowing 20-30 mph all day. Windy enough water came over the front of the boat a few times. I used spot lock all day. After 8 hours of that I went home and put it on the noco genius on board charger and they were only discharged half way. I think I could have fished another full day or at least almost that without charging. I was skeptical at first because they were from Japan and only $199.99 a piece but they’ve been great. Also before I could run about 15 with 2 people with tackle and after getting lithium I can run 18-19 so the weight difference helped the boat itself out a lot too. If you watch enough videos of people dissecting lithium batteries on YouTube and do other research you’ll soon find out that almost all lithium cells come from the same place. My personal opinion is that these “American made lithium brands that sell 12V 50AH batteries for $400-$600 were ripping me off and I was just paying for the name. So far I’ve been right. Hope this helps you.

7. Illinois Club | PC/Mac Tips & Tweaks Moderator sgt93's Avatar
    I have the same setup in my Phelix. (Two battery system and a 12v Terrova) and am thinking of going to one big Lithium which should reduce weight drastically. Been looking at Dakota Lithium.
    2017 Bass Cat Phelix Honda 25 SOLD
    2007 BCB Cougar FTD Merc Opti 225 SOLD

Instagram: @SSgt93.
    I don't subscribe to threads. PM if you need me.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by purduephigam View Post
    Thanks for the input, this is quite helpful as my spring fishing consists of long, hard days in Newton and Braidwood near me. Once summer hits, I'm not out for really long hours so the battery issue is not much of a concern. Like you, I'm needing to replace mine and am just considering lithium as an option to improve efficiency and minimize weight if possible. I talked with Philly on this and he shared some concerns with function in cold weather. After my research, it seems like if the packs get at or below freezing, they don't charge, or will ruin the cells. I've considered Battle Born as they have a switch that engages a heat source to help wake the batteries up in order to get them to charge, or to function if they go into "safe mode." That said, I think the differences in price will just be related more to bigger companies (R&D) and their tech. Some batteries are considered "smart" in that it's harder to screw them up. Whereas others may not have the auto cutoff mechanism and could be destroyed if elements don't allow for proper charge. My knowledge on this is limited, so I may not be totally accurate in my assumption. Nonetheless, I appreciate the input, especially someone who parallels me at Newton as spot lock seemed to just kill my lead acid (needing to swap at lunch to get through the day).
    I have a similar set up 2 12 v lead acid for my 24v trolling motor and a 12 lead acid for starting. Had a run a few years ago with a certain brand not lasting a year. Have some decent ones now going on year 3 next year. been thinking about lithium to get some weight out of the boat. I have a 16 foot v hull and a 25 hp 4 stroke and can getup to 20 mph on a perfect day. Getting a couple hundred pounds out might pick up a little top end. So very interested to hear of results from those that have done it.
    Something to be aware of is your lead acid batteries have only been giving you a half day means you have been wearing your motor brushes down. So you could have an issue with the motor when it sees a full 12 volts again. Not likely but it does happen.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
    Please release me,let me go.

Bioenno Power is what I use...going on 4 years now with the same battery. You can use my code too to get 15% off. KBL is the code.

I would stray away from lithium batteries that are dirt cheap...those are the ones that have terrible BMS and can become faulty...i.e. catch fire.

www.BioennoPower.com

10. Member
    Not all of the cheaper ones are bad though if you do your research. I’ve actually saw some videos on YouTube that were pretty interesting. One guy actually tore apart a cheap lithium from Amazon made in china and also tore apart a battle born battery. The numbers on the cells and the bms were exactly the same. Almost identical battery on the inside just a different brand name label on the outside. There’s several videos of people tearing apart lithium batteries and explaining about what’s on the inside. All these American companies claim there made in the USA but really they’re just assembled in the USA. The BMS and lithium sells come from overseas and mainly from China. MOST but not all you’re just paying for the name and a longer pro rated only warranty after so many years. You’re not really gaining much because if one goes bad that I got from Amazon it has a 5 year warranty and all the reviews say the quality and customer service is awesome. Even if I had to buy a new battery out right I could still buy another one and be the same price as one of the big brands. That’s just my opinion and out look on it.

11. Member
    For those using lithium, anyone have issues cold starting in cold weather? Battle Born did not recommend using their lithium for outboards as they don't have the dedicated CCA. Not sure if this is a disclaimer or if it's moot because I just have a tiny 25hp 4 stroke.
    Last edited by purduephigam; 11-17-2022 at 10:52 AM.