Question Merc 250 PRO XS RPM issue

Hello all,

My motor (250 Pro XS Model# 1251P73BD / SN 2B017333) is having an issue with getting above 2000 RPMs after the first run. Starts and idles fine but when you mash the throttle is just sort sounds like it’s bogging down. I took it to my local Merc Mechanic and here is what was performed:

Compression: 116-120 on all six cylinders 350hrs total hours with 50 on new rebuilt block.
    Hooked up computer to the engine, check/test and errors. None noted.
    Test all injectors, no issues.
    No fuel in air rail.
    Reeds looked intact.
    Diaphragm looks good.
    Test ran engine, fuel/air pressure were in specs.
    Did find #2 spark plug wet fouled.
    Replaced all spark plugs.

After picking up the boat, I went to the lake to run it and fish for a few hours. When it started up it coughed a little and sputtered, other than that it idled fine. Watched the thermostats open on the gauge and temps dropped as advertised. Idled our past the no wake and jumped up on plane and ran great. About an hour later I decided to pick up and move spots and went to mash the foot pedal, no joy. The RPMs would only get to 2000. I did meter my cranking battery x2 31G and it read 12.8 before putting it on the charger.

The mechanic said he will meet me at the dock on Thursday to run the boat with me. Prior to him showing up, is there anything I can check or visually inspect? Or really anything you guys would recommend looking at?

Thanks for y’all’s time,
    Kyle Smith
    Texas Boat Works, Fort Worth, TX
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 4x4 (Deleted)
    2011 Bass Cat Eyra 250 Pro XS
    BASB08005G011 / SN: 2B017333

2. Member
    TPS sweep test after warmed up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

I have been seeing a few that the shift interrupt switch sticks in when warmed up causing this problem
    Last edited by lpugh; 11-17-2022 at 10:06 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Thanks guys, I'll keep this in my back pocket while lake testing the motor.
    Kyle Smith

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    I have been seeing few that the shift interrupt switch sticks in when warmed up causing this problem
    and warning horn should activate if this happens indicating neutral overspeed
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    and warning horn should activate if this happens indicating neutral overspeed
    Neutral Overspeed was removed in later calibrations.... so it may not necessarily log that on engines built after Jan. 2012.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

So my wet fouled plug reappeared and was a coil going bad and failed at the ramp with the mechanic, swapped coils and the gripe followed. Tracker valve had a small tear in it as well that most likely manifested itself after running it, which was subsequently replaced. Leak down was performed on the fuel rails as well and yielded no issues. Motors is now firing on all six and no errors.

With 50hrs on the rebuild should I or is it recommended to get the injectors cleaned, flowed, and tested?

Thanks again for the help.
    Kyle Smith

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Were they done with the Rebuild?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Were they done with the Rebuild?
    Yes everything was checked and flowed and clean
    Kyle Smith

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    At 50 hrs, I would not expect you would need to do it again, then.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    At 50 hrs, I would not expect you would need to do it again, then.
    thank you Sir.
    Kyle Smith