Thread: Trim pin bolt

Trim pin bolt

S/N 3B099812
    I marked my trim pin with a sharpie as described in this forum. Question , lets say I am on a couple week fishing trip and pin decides to move. Can (with power off) trim bolt be removed, apply loctite and reinstall without disturbing gauge and pin orientation? I also believe I will drill my bolt head and use aircraft tie wire.
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

2. Member
    I have a 150 HP engine. I raised the engine full up, raised the engine support bracket, and lowered the engine to gently rest on the bracket.....supported but no pressure. I then removed old set screw ( they call it a set screw but looks more like a bolt). Removed old set screw. I installed a new set screw, with red thread locker and with the proper torque. Don recommended to me to use a new set screw as he considers them 1 use only. All is good so far! I believe the new set screw is made slightly different for improvement!

I wrapped a cable tie around mine and hadn’t moved in 2 years
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

4. mikesxpress
    I'm interested if anyone has had movement of the new replacement set screw?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    I'm interested if anyone has had movement of the new replacement set screw?
    Mine has made 6-7 trailer rides and fishing trips and so far good. I am feeling good about it!

When changing bolt will pin move or any precautions to take a when changing?
    2022 Caymas cx20pro 250 Pro XS s/n 3B099812

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If u turn the head of the set screw, have a new one to replace it.

Fine to mark it, tie-wraps, loctite, etc. Would NOT recommend any modifications as that could pose problems if there is a warranty claim down the road.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Welaka View Post
    When changing bolt will pin move or any precautions to take a when changing?
    As long as you don't trim up and down, it won't move.

Yes you can apply loctite and tighten to get home BUT that's all I would do and not run real fast.

This has got to be the dumbest thing Mercury hasever changed...

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21xTriton05 View Post
    Yes you can apply loctite and tighten to get home BUT that's all I would do and not run real fast.

This has got to be the dumbest thing Mercury hasever changed...
    You're entitled to that opinion... but in reality, if they're handled as I described above (never re-use bolt), we don't really see problems with them anymore.

The purpose/reason for the change was a good reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    You're entitled to that opinion... but in reality, if they're handled as I described above (never re-use bolt), we don't really see problems with them anymore.

The purpose/reason for the change was a good reason.
    If you ever had to remove the old Tri lobe pin-- you would applaud the new bolt.

My trim bolt started to work loose around 70-80 hours of operation. Put red loctite on it then and hasn’t moved since. 1.5 years and 646 hours on the motor now. Many of those hours in rough water. I should also mention about 10k miles of trailer time as well.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

13. Member
    I agree total i am on my third trip to Cabelas in Gonzales La to get it right. Mechanically it is a mistake taking something that has worked for years and putting something that works for months should have been a recall.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by biglakespeck View Post
    I agree total i am on my third trip to Cabelas in Gonzales La to get it right. Mechanically it is a mistake taking something that has worked for years and putting something that works for months should have been a recall.
    There were very good reasons for the change- and while the tri-lobe pin worked well for many years, it permitted hi-definition trim signals to bounce around a LOT. This could be problematic if boat setup required every bit of available trim.