Ruger M77 30.06.

My father inlaw recently gave me a Ruger M77 chambered in 30.06. I am in the process of changing out the see thru scope mount and scope. I was having problems finding the right bases for the gun.
    Well, it's a 1st gen M77 with a tang safety, a push feed bolt and no built in scope bases in the receiver.
    1st gen's without the built in scope bases are supposed to be the very first few years of production, like maybe '64 thru '68.
    I looked up the serial number and the rifle is supposed to made between '83 and '84.
    Anyone have some experience with these guns that can tell whats going on here?
    Last edited by big_o_tom; 11-12-2022 at 10:51 PM.

2. Member
    I never knew there was a push feed version. I would wager warne, weaver, or leupold make bases. I would look at their websites or get in touch with them if you do not see something. A call to brownells should get you what you need too. In fact that would be my first move.

3. Member
    It already was my first move, they have nothing. They did however give me the part numbers of the bases. And I believe that I have solved the problem. I'm using the m77 rear base and a Remington 700 front base (apparently the two rifle bases are interchangable). Its bore sighted, now I just got to shoot a few rounds through it.

4. Member
    Also, I didn't know there was such a thing as control or push feed. I say this rifle is push feed because the ejector is a spring loaded round thing on the face of the bolt. Looks like push feed bolts that I have googled.

Call Talley.

6. Member
    I have 2 Ruger M77 rifles, a .270 and a .22-250 with a bull barrel. The .22-250 was purchased in 1975 and the .270 is the Bicentennial edition, so it’s built in 1976. Never heard of Ruger M77 models that didn’t have built on bases. Very interesting.

7. Member
    I talked to Ruger yesterday, my rifle was built in 1981. If I remember correctly she said they made the tang safety models up until the early 90's. Yeah, no built in bases. I had to buy two different sets of bases to get the right thickness to get the scope mouted.

8. Member
    Ruger's are that era are either true shooters or complete dogs. If you end up with one that shoots all over the place it's the stock.g
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Member
    The bump at the end of the stock that puts pressure on the barrel?

My guess is this rifle is going to pound your shoulder pretty hard. Loaded some rounds for a guy many years ago cambered in 270. It was a thumper. M77's and Savage 110's have terrible recoil. Glass bed the receiver and full forearm.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeet'r89 View Post
    My guess is this rifle is going to pound your shoulder pretty hard. Loaded some rounds for a guy many years ago cambered in 270. It was a thumper. M77's and Savage 110's have terrible recoil. Glass bed the receiver and full forearm.
    Funny deal with the m77s

My m77 243 kicks like a mule for a 243 yet my m77mkii 270 is a total kitten in the recoil dept ..its wierd...the 243 kicks worse than my rem 760s (they arent bad at all but you know youbpulled the trigger lol)

Now my rem 700 300winmag that thing stings a bit
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

12. Member
    I shot the thing about 60 times the week before gun season. Yeah, my shoulder was sore.

13. Member
    My question is why did you shoot it 60 times?
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

14. Member
    I have a Ruger M77 mark II chambered in .30-06,bought it new at a gun show close to 30 years ago. It came with a Ramline synthetic stock,of course it has some recoil,but a very comfortable shooter and one of the best I've ever shot. It took the Weaver style scope rings as no other type would fit on the receiver, $60 for them even back then.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe Winkleworm View Post
    My question is why did you shoot it 60 times?
    I had never shot a 30.06. I wanted to use remington core lokt but couldn't find it. I got two boxes of umc and zeroed then practiced with one box. Then I got two boxes of norma, didn't like them to much so I shot them up for practice. Then I finally got two boxes of core lokt and rezeroed the rifle with that ammo.
    So yeah, I got in a little practice with the gun before taking my first buck.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby Moser View Post
    I have a Ruger M77 mark II chambered in .30-06,bought it new at a gun show close to 30 years ago. It came with a Ramline synthetic stock,of course it has some recoil,but a very comfortable shooter and one of the best I've ever shot. It took the Weaver style scope rings as no other type would fit on the receiver, $60 for them even back then.
    I havr leupold rings on my Mkii and weavers on my tang safety 243 m77
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

17. Member
    I’ve had 2 tang safety m 77, and now have 2 mk ll 77, and all 4 of them I used the factory supplied ruger integral bases and rings and have never had a problem

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brownndown View Post
    I’ve had 2 tang safety m 77, and now have 2 mk ll 77, and all 4 of them I used the factory supplied ruger integral bases and rings and have never had a problem
    This one had see thru mounts and a 3x9 scope. I wanted to use a bigger scope without the see thru mounts. Just took a bit of research but the scope is on and zeroed.