Skeeter Quality Control

Let’s hear it. I own a 2018 ZX225 and am in the market for a new boat. My only concern with a new Skeeter is the quality control. Should I be concerned?

2. Member
    Came out a 2018 Ranger 520. Bought a 2021 ZXR20. I have had zero issues with the boat and the workmanship is first class.

3. Member
    I don’t feel that my 21 FXR21 is built as solidly as my 07 20i was, but that doesn’t mean it won’t hold up. Unfortunately, these haven’t been around long enough to know how well the current build process (and whatever restricting regulations since ‘07) will hold up over time. Deck, hull & transom seem solid but the sides seem thinner. Rear deck is noticeably softer than the front deck though (front deck very solid - more so than previous builds). Everything else is just components shared by just about every other boat manufacturer and easily reparable/replaceable. I do like the new I beam trailers, but low profile tires suck for a boat trailer application (pretty much everybody has gone that route though).

From what I have seen especially during the COVID years is that there will sometimes be at least some super minor cosmetic type stuff. From my own experience and a ton of local guys running Skeeters is that Skeeter steps up and fixes it when reported. I cannot sit here and say that every manufacturer lets boats out of factory with same type stuff or not.
    My dealer also sells another brand and I see the same type issues on them and again from what I know that brand fixes it when it's reported also.

None of that is meant to dissuade anyone. I just believe in being transparent and will never be that guy that says what is in my garage is the best boat ever made. It was not made with unicorn hair and pixie dust either. I didn't join a family when I dropped almost $60,000 to buy it. Families don't charge you that much to join. I do have an incredible local dealer as well as another incredible dealer near Fork should I ever need anything. I do not have to call customer service much but the couple of times I've needed something from Skeeter they were friendly, efficient and fair. They have treated me like a valued customer. I have owned several Skeeters and my experience with Skeeter has been consistently good.

I love my 2021 ZXR20. It has been a great boat so far. It still looks showroom new and I have had it since September 2020. It has not had to go into shop. Neither has the SHO. I would buy another. All in all I am a satisfied customer.

I like other brands too. I pay retail for my boats and am not tied to any of them.
    Last edited by Mark Perry; 11-13-2022 at 06:03 PM.

5. Member
    Thanks Mark. I have a good dealer here too that also sells Phoenix. I am just kicking tires right now but believe I will probably buy a new rig sometime next year. Caymas intrigues me also but nearest dealer is about 3 hrs away. Garage space is another issue and not all 20 ft brands will fit in my garage but a ZXR/FXR 20 will, and there’s dealer support.

Quote Originally Posted by dreese View Post
    Thanks Mark. I have a good dealer here too that also sells Phoenix. I am just kicking tires right now but believe I will probably buy a new rig sometime next year. Caymas intrigues me also but nearest dealer is about 3 hrs away. Garage space is another issue and not all 20 ft brands will fit in my garage but a ZXR/FXR 20 will, and there’s dealer support.

Hard to go wrong with either brand. Phoenix has really caught my eye the past couple of years. I might try one eventually. That being said and not trying to be cheesy my current boat is set up exactly how I want and I am in no hurry to get rid of it at all.

7. Member
    I own several Skeeters as well. I've never had any major issues. Nothing that would deter me from buying another Skeeter. I'm currently in a 2023 ZXR19. The quality is excellent on this boat.

8. Member
    The quality has gone down some but no different for any boat manufacturer
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

9. Member
    I will say this. Skeeters customer service has been too notch for me. Better customer service with skeeter than I had with my ranger. I have a gelcoat crack on the drivers side gunnel on my front deck. There is a new skeeter dealer that is a car dealership that is trying there hand at marine about a hour away. They have a fiberglass guy that only has about 6 months experience. Skeeter let me find a repair shop I trusted for the repair instead of making me to have repaired at that dealership. It’s the only issue I’ve had and has been handled and taken care of really well.

10. Member
    I have had issues with my 2021 ZXR but all have been fixed at no charge to me. I have owned numerous Skeeters and they have all been great boats combined with great service. I think the worker shortage and supply chain issues hit Skeeter in 2021 like every other manufacturer. My local dealership sells multiple quality boat lines from bass boats to leisure boats and they are seeing the same thing across all of the brands that they sell. I would not hesitate to purchase another Skeeter.

11. Member
    Purchased my 2021 ZXR20 in August '20. Two small top-cap stress cracks that the dealer fixed immediately. The plug wire broke due to user error... and was immediately fixed as well. This was my first Skeeter and I've been extremely satisfied with my choice. I also was looking at Phoenix (ProXP20 and 19) and ultimately chose Skeeter simply due to the price point... about $12k cheaper on the 20 foot boat and about the same price for the ProXP19 if memory serves. My primary fishing partner is on his 3rd Phoenix ProXP20 and they are fine boats... a bit faster than mine and neither of us can tell the different in the fit/finish. He says the Skeeter rides better in big waves than his Phoenix... I'm not sure about that but the difference would be minimal. He also had a stress crack issue that was immediately fixed by his dealer. This was my first SHO as well... I'm super happy with it and have had zero issues. Have fun looking at all the brands... it's a lot of fun isn't it!