Puma STS Modifications/Improvements - Because why not!

Hello all,

Now that we are roughly nearing the 1.5 year mark of the new Puma STS release, curious to hear some consume feedback (I am sure BCB is as well), obviously they hit a home run over at BCB with the design and it is a platform we all look forward to seeing in the future.

However, just for speculation purposes or "fun" what are some things you all would like to see added over the lifetime of the Puma STS/STS Hulls or what are some modifications that you all have already made to existing ones?

Again, this is supposed to be just for fun and constructive, please keep any negative comments out however I doubt there will be any! I feel like this isn't a thread we see come around often in this sub-forum.

Thanks,
    Sam E. - BoatWrX

2. Member
    Only thing I wish they did was keep the puma day box they had with the split ice chest. Ice chest between the seats is huge. As is the step up one

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    Only thing I wish they did was keep the puma day box they had with the split ice chest. Ice chest between the seats is huge. As is the step up one
    This is a good idea, I haven't even thought about the Puma FTD day box as of recent!

I will say, I believe the step/cooler on the FTD/STS boats is at perfect height for movement throughout the platform,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Engelmeyer View Post
    This is a good idea, I haven't even thought about the Puma FTD day box as of recent!

I will say, I believe the step/cooler on the FTD/STS boats is at perfect height for movement throughout the platform,
    extremely easy to get onto the front deck. Boat is an awesome boat. I’m an eyra guy. Personally think it’s the best tournament boat built. But for multiple people on the front deck and guide trips the sts is as good as it gets in the wide body class.

5. Member
    Cougar front deck layout or two coffin lids in the middle like the Eyra.
    Last edited by ETexBasscat; 11-14-2022 at 03:38 PM.

6. Member
    I love my Puma STS. Only 2 minor tweaks. I miss the day box up front so we need to have at least an optional tray for one of the front compartments. There is plenty of storage for 3600 boxes in the other front lid or in the middle compartment so a simple day box tray would give owners the option of using some of that space. The second change is a little more significant, but they really need to move the passenger seat in-board (towards the midline) about 6 inches. This would give the co-anglers more room to stow their rods without risk of snagging my beautiful Bass Cat seats. Adding an optional rod rack when the console is removed like the Phoenix boats would also be nice. My winter project is to get one of the Phoenix racks and see if it can be modified for my boat. Gotta keep my co-angler happy since he catches the big ones.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisMH&F View Post
    I love my Puma STS. Only 2 minor tweaks. I miss the day box up front so we need to have at least an optional tray for one of the front compartments. There is plenty of storage for 3600 boxes in the other front lid or in the middle compartment so a simple day box tray would give owners the option of using some of that space. The second change is a little more significant, but they really need to move the passenger seat in-board (towards the midline) about 6 inches. This would give the co-anglers more room to stow their rods without risk of snagging my beautiful Bass Cat seats. Adding an optional rod rack when the console is removed like the Phoenix boats would also be nice. My winter project is to get one of the Phoenix racks and see if it can be modified for my boat. Gotta keep my co-angler happy since he catches the big ones.
    I guess we all have different opinions. I think the design of the Phoenix passenger rod storage is awful! My fishing partner has a Phoenix and I deal with it a bunch.
    2023 Puma STS

8. Member
    Passenger rods are almost like rod boxes, everyone has an opinion to some degree. We never liked systems in rod boxes back to when “moose heads” were first made. We always preferred the sleeves and I made our own vinyl sleeves for Dad and I in the mid 80’s.

As long as passengers have room, a way to secure butts, and tie them down, where the tips don’t get broken off, we feel comfortable it’s a working option. They have to straighten their baits out and usually that’s because the boater doesn’t give them prep time. Their rods aren’t just lying on the deck like the owners. Now the Jaguar STS passenger rod box is neat, but it’s a huge boat also.

We have a few tweaks we’d like on the Puma STS also, very few. The comment that gets us people have made is wanting a trash can, when you have two coolers, plus under seat storage (2). Things others don’t have, and yet they want another place for trash when we just use a cooler.

Rick I wouldn't make a major change. Lift out trays little deeper than the pump access ones in the rear or something for the front deck smaller boxes would be nice touch. Still waiting on the new SS.

Trash can! yeah use whats there
    Last edited by Rick H; 11-19-2022 at 11:00 AM.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    I'd like to see better tackle storage compartments. Phoenix does a nice job with their center tackle compartment with dividers and a sliding top shelf.

11. Member
    I would change the latch on the center ice chest. I'd like a lockable latch like the rest of the compartments on the front of the deck. This would make that compartment more flexible. You could securely and accessibly store expensive little items like sunglasses, gopros, ultrex remote, scales, tools, etc. without worry or use is it as another ice chest or a day box.

12. Member
    Trash can? Seriously? Use a dang Ice sack and cooler. Smarter than what your working with people.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjdjr18 View Post
    I would change the latch on the center ice chest. I'd like a lockable latch like the rest of the compartments on the front of the deck. This would make that compartment more flexible. You could securely and accessibly store expensive little items like sunglasses, gopros, ultrex remote, scales, tools, etc. without worry or use is it as another ice chest or a day box.
    if you have filled up the boat where you can’t put whatever you want in the ice chest in a lockable locker you may need to trim some fat on what you’re taking with you lol.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    if you have filled up the boat where you can’t put whatever you want in the ice chest in a lockable locker you may need to trim some fat on what you’re taking with you lol.
    It's just a locking latch dude... lol

15. Member
    Glad to see Rick is checking in on this site but I am not surprised. The Puma STS is a great platform and everyone that has ridden with me from Ranger guys to Skeeter guys to Phoenix guys have been impressed. I suggested the day box tray and "moose head" because they are options that guys can add if they choose. Putting them in the store would allow you to further customize the rigging of your boat. I fish a lot of buddy events so I'm sensitive to my partners needs but I know other guys fish solo (or don't care). Having the option of another tier when the console is out just gives us some flexibility. Rotomolding one out of plastic with screw holes that mesh with the console brackets should be easy and I'm sure it would sell in the store or be a nice addition to the package.